Chapter 40

Hayne woke up the next morning to see several missed calls from Alesia. As they were getting ready to leave the motel room that day to continue their trip down to Santa Fey, his phone rang again. Lynn looked up from her mirror while Ria was getting things into her bag.

"You gonna answer that?" Lynn asked before she looked back to fixing her eyelashes in her makeup mirror. Ria had also given him a short glance, with a face that wondered who could be calling. "It's been ringing this morning like crazy." Hayne answered the call and walked out of the room with his bag. Lynn gave Ria a shrug then they gathered the last of their things and walked out as well.

When they came out to the parking lot, Ria saw Hayne leaning against the car with the phone still on his ear and a grin visible across his face. He saw them walking up to him and quickly ended his call and hung up.

"Got all your stuff there?" he asked as he placed his phone back into the back pocket of his jeans.

"Yep," Lynn answered. "Let's go. Santa Fey is only eight hours away." They all got into the car and left the hotel.

The first hour of the ride on the highway was quiet, and they left the radio on to disrupt the silence. They made a stop at the next gas station, while Hayne filled the car up, Ria and Lynn went to use the restroom. After they were back, they continued on their trip in their rental car.

"Okay, so when we get to Santa Fey, we'll check into a hotel, rest for the night and start our investigation tomorrow," Lynn laid out their plan.

"What are we investigating again?" Hayne asked.

"We're tracing back a fire incident that happened in Santa Fey over a decade ago. Remember?" Lynn reminded.

"Oh," Hayne stated, reminding himself about Ria's intention to find her family. "Right."

"What did you think we were going to Santa Fey County for?" Ria asked him from the back.

"Uh.....I guess I just forgot for a moment there," he said as an excuse.

"So when do you think we'll arrive into the city?" Ria asked Lynn.

"Five or six,"

"Six," Hayne answered correctly. He looked into the rearview mirror to catch Ria's eyes, but she was looking out the window instead.

"I'm gonna go visit my Nanna while I'm there," Lynn replied.

"She lives in Santa Fey?" Hayne asked.

"Yep," Lynn nodded, "Her and her blond friends are the only old people that walk nude on that nude beach at Crestero."

"Hah," they laughed.

"Trust me, you do not wanna feast your eyes on them when that happens," Lynn smiled, "Their tits are bouncing out for those sixty year old yacht owners that usually take young college girls out for a sail on their vessels."

"Do they try too hard?" Hayne grinned.

"Nah. According to her, she says those crookbacks are too damn easy,"

Ria looked into her phone when she heard a message pop up. It was from Cat! It had been quite a long time since she heard from her old friend on messenger again.

Hayne saw her from the rearview mirror, smiling into her phone as she texted away. He found himself wishing she could smile at him that way; the way her lips curved up perfectly making her cheeks glow to show her cute dimples and those narrowed shinning eyes that held some kind of magic. Something breathtaking to watch everyday. They heard her giggling to herself from the back, making him wonder what she was looking at.