Chapter 48

Dameon and AJ walked up to the iron fence after they had parked their separate cars by the curb. They entered a small gate and approached the nice ceramic tiled porch. Their search for answers on their family's murder led them to a two storey house in the western suburbs. Dameon rang the doorbell before turning back to AJ.

"You sure about this guy?" he asked his cousin.

"According to the papers I dug up in the library, this guy was the one assigned to investigate the fire," AJ replied. "He's a former cop."

"Retired?"

"Don't know. The guys at SFPD told me he'd been off duty for about 5 years now. Due to some kind of injury?" AJ replied with a shrug. Dameon rang the doorbell once again before a pretty, young dark skinned beauty, opened the door for them.

"Can I help you?" she asked.

"Yes you can," AJ nudged Dameon aside to step up close to her. "First allow me to introduce myself, I'm AJ. And what do they call you a pretty thang like you?" The girl gave a slight smile, being much flattered by the handsome model at her doorstep.

"Hi, I'm Dameon. We're just here to see Detective Stevie Lyson?" Dameon told the girl after shoving AJ away from her presence.

"And this is regarding what exactly?" she asked. The two boys exchanged a glance, knowing they were at the right house.

"We have some questions for him about a fire that happened uh...14 years ago," Dameon explained. "I believe he was the lead investigator, on that case." The girl gave them a doubtful look for a minute before finally letting them in. She brought them into the living room where she told them to take a seat.

"Can I offer you guys anything?" she asked.

"Nah we're-"

"Oh you can offer me anything you want, but how bout your spare time tonight? Around 7 or 8pm?" AJ said flashing his flirtatious smile.

"Mm..what did you say you wanted to see my dad for again?" she asked when turning to Dameon instead.

"He's your father?" Dameon questioned before getting a nod from her. "We want to ask him a few questions about his investigation on the Sebana family fire."

"Sebana? Ah, it's no wonder you looked familiar, you're the Sebana boys," she said eyeing AJ, "A Sebana family fire, you say? Never heard of that."

"Yea, people have forgotten that news 14 years ago," Dameon replied, "But your dad might still be familiar with it. Can we talk to him, we won't take much of his time."

"I'm afraid my dad won't be able to talk to you," she told them in which they gave a confused expression, " My father suffered an injury 11 years ago. He had a real bad spinal injury and he almost lost his ability to speak. So he's pretty much going through a nightmare many officers never wish to have."

"Oh, we're so sorry about that," Dameon apologized.

"He's better than he was before, now. Five years ago he couldn't move both his legs and his fingers. So he's gradually improving," she replied.

"Can we still meet him?" he asked again, "Sorry, it's just that this is kinda important to us and he's the only one that can tell us a few things about that fire." She looked at them and gave a nod before she headed down the passage in the next room. After about ten minutes, they heard someone coming into the living room. They saw the girl bring her father out in a wheelchair. Stevie Lyson was a middle aged man who looked quite frail and stunted. He saw the two young men in his living room and gave his daughter a disappointed look.

"They're just here to ask you a few questions," she replied to his facial expression. Dameon stepped up to the wheel chair to give him an awkward handshake.