Chapter 46

Hayne was driving back home from Josh's party that night. He was coming up the road and approaching the gate when he saw the same dark grey well tinted sedan he swore he had seen at Santa Fey and during that other night outside his dad's office. It was parked a few yards down the street and Hayne couldn't make out if someone was inside or not.

He let go of his curiosity and swerved his car through the open gate before him. He drove into the garage and parked his car before he got off and walked into the house. On his way through the kitchen he suddenly stopped when he thought he heard something in the living room. He wondered who could still be up at four in the morning. As soon as he turned on the lights in the living room, the movements stopped; he realized it was coming from the study. Hayne quickly rushed into the study when he heard the windows in that room shut with a loud bang. He stepped foot into the room in time to catch a glimpse of an unfamiliar dark figure that ran from the window. There had been a break in!

"Hey!" he shouted, running to the window. But when he looked out all he could hear was someone jumping over the three meter high brick wall and there was no one in sight.

Hayne could see the thrashed papers and books on the floor in that dark room. A few chairs were thrown away from their place at the table and drawers were pulled out. He turned on the lights and saw the greater mess made in the study. As he was coming back from the open window that the stranger had escaped through, his father had just entered with his sleeping robe on. Mr. Harber's sleepy eyes suddenly widened in surprise when he saw the mess made in the study room.

"Someone broke in," Hayne told him.

"What?! Just now?!" he asked.

"Yea, the creep jumped out this window after he heard me walk in," Hayne explained.

"He could be still be inside the compound,"

"Nah, he's over the fence and gone by now,"

"I'm calling the police," Mr. Harber said. He walked into the living room to get on the phone and call the cops. Hayne was still trying to figure out how the stranger managed to get in. It wasn't that easy trying to get into their well secured home without knowing the front or back door pass codes. The fence was about three meters high and it may take a good stuntman or trained personnel to jump over a fence that high so quick. But down to the most important question of all, what was that person doing in their study? The place didn't look like it was robbed, most of the valuable antiques and things were still there, so the stranger may have been there to look for something in particular.

Now, Hayne knew that his Dad had made some enemies in his career as a lawyer, amongst those well known. It could be possible that whoever broke in may be after something his Dad has. Hayne asked his father right away if he did piss anyone off recently or if he had some important documents worth breaking into a house for?

"Uh....... wait, let me think about that for a minute," Mr. Harber replied. "......uh, yea, I kinda do. But I still don't think these certain people I know would do something stupid like this."

"Come on Dad, people aren't always what they seem to be," Hayne replied. A few minutes later, the police were at their doorstep to investigate.

One hour later, Mrs. Harber was heading down the stairs to find police officers in her living room. Her puzzled face turned to her husband who was being questioned by one of the officers.

"Is there anybody else inside the house?" the officer asked.

"Ok, thank you Mr. Harber. We'll do our best to find out what happened here," the officer told him before he walked away with his notebook.

"James? James what is going on?" his wife asked with her arms folded across her chest.

"We just had a break in," Mr. Harber answered.