Chapter 52

"We already told you......that person somehow came in through the front door without tripping the alarm system and it's not the first time this has happened," Hayne said, looking frustrated as he folded his arms across his wet army-green shirt. He was soaked from head to toe after attempting to run after the unknown intruder in the rain that night. "He must've jumped over the boundary wall to escape like the last time."

"And how long ago was that?" the police officer asked while his partner was in the living room getting a statement from Ria. Candles were lit and placed on the tables and mantelpiece and it had been about forty minutes since the power went out.

"A month and a half?" Hayne shrugged. "Maybe less. I'd say six weeks ago."

"And you say nothing was stolen at that time too?"

"Nothing, but he trashed our study," Hayne stated. "Like he was looking for something."

"And you're sure nothing was stolen tonight?" the officer asked again as he jolted notes on his notepad.

"No," Hayne was slowly losing his patience.

"Okay son, we'll look into this further and see if anyone around the neighborhood saw anything that could help us catch this perp,"

"That's what you said the last time," Hayne rolled his eyes, "And it's happened again."

"We'll get someone to patrol outside tonight, okay," the officer replied kindly, "In the meantime, power's down due to the storm and we got word that it may take a while for it to be restored. You sure there's no guardian you wanna contact to stay with you guys throughout the rest of the night?"

"....no, we'll be fine, thanks," he sighed as he looked worriedly at Ria on the couch.

Few minutes later the officers wrapped up and Hayne was seeing them out. He closed the front door and made sure to bolt it shut. He as he did, he began to wonder about the stranger who had broken into their home, whoever it was, they were really smart and knowledgeable about technology. But the Harber's had rebooted and thoroughly checked their home security system. The security company did not even get a notification of a breach in the system and the cameras were blacked out, which was more suspicious. When Hayne came into the hallway he looked around for Ria but she was gone.

When he entered the kitchen to check on the backdoor, he found her closing the refrigerator door and pouring herself a glass of milk. Ria took a sip and somehow, the taste, the smooth cool taste just seemed to calm her nerves. She gave a sigh after one sip that left the glass half full.

"They're gonna get someone to watch over the house for the rest of the night and the rest of the week," he told her. "Are you okay to sleep in your room tonight?" Ria drank down the rest of her milk and then looked up to respond.

"I'll be okay," she answered.

"Are you sure?" he asked sternly. "Someone was just in your r-"

"I said I'll be okay," she snapped. "Sorry, I'm just...... overwhelmed right now. I'll be fine." Then after placing her glass in the dishwasher she walked out of the kitchen and back up to her room. Hayne rubbed the back of his neck wondering if he had said something wrong, he noticed that she was not feeling well at all.

After checking on the latch at the backdoor he realised he was still in his wet clothes and so he quickly dashed upstairs to his room to get changed. Ten minutes later he was coming out of his room and he decided to check on Ria once again. He walked down the dark hallway with his phone's flashlight lighting the way and he knocked on Ria's bedroom door twice. When she did not answer he took it upon himself to open it.