Chapter 23

Next morning, Ria was down at breakfast with Mrs. Harber and Sheela in the kitchen. Mrs. Harber poured herself some coffee while Ria was finishing up everything in her bowl of cereal. It was nine in the morning and Hayne entered looking and feeling quite hungover. Ria saw him in his sweat pants and fitting white shirt. He walked across the kitchen to get himself some ice from the refrigerator.

"Did you come in last night?" Mrs. Harber asked after taking a sip from her cup.

"What? Oh yea," Hayne answered lazily as he drank out of the milk carton.

"Did you drive home drunk?" she questioned sternly.

"No, Brian brought me home," he replied, "I can't remember how I made it up the stairs though?" Ria rolled her eyes in silence as she drank some more lemonade.

"You going somewhere today?" his mother asked.

"Uh........yea," Hayne said as he scrolled through his phone. "Why? Where's dad?"

"Your father's gonna be leaving for Geneva tomorrow," she answered, "Someone chose him as a delegate to the UN Human Rights conference there. So he's gonna be gone for a week."

"Looks like he's already on his way up the ladder of politics," Hayne smirked.

"They chose him coz he's an activist for human rights," his mother added.

"I know mom. Well, I'm just gonna be up in my room if you need me," he replied.

"Alright honey," Mrs. Harber nodded. Hayne left the kitchen and his steps could be heard going up the stairs in the hall. A few minutes later, Mrs. Harber was also getting ready to leave that morning. She waved a quick goodbye before leaving Ria and Sheela in the kitchen.

"Uhm..... Sheela?" Ria said.

"Mm?" Sheela sounded from the sink of dirty pots.

"You've been with the Harbers for almost ten years now, right? Do you know why there are none of Hayne's photos on the walls in the living room or hallway?"

"Hmm?"

"Why aren't there any pictures of Hayne in this house? Any photos of himself? Were there any?"

"Haah," she nodded.

"Why aren't they on the walls, then?"

"He took them down," Sheela answered, and Ria gave an even much confused expression.

"Hayne took them down?"

"Haah, after a girl died,"

"What girl died?" Ria asked, being more curious.

"That good girl friend of his,"

"Can you describe her?" Ria questioned further.

"Uh... I think I just saw her once," Sheela shrugged, "Long, black hair and very white skin. Almost like a ghost!" Ria knew she talking about the girl she had seen in the photograph in Hayne's room. She thought that whoever that girl was, she must have had quite an effect on Hayne in some way. Ria began to wonder who she was?

••••

"He's not even picking up!" Alesia almost yelled in anger. She wanted to throw her phone at the brilliant green lawn when Hayne wasn't answering her call. Renae gave a worried look while her twin on the other hand, tried to keep himself from giving a giggle. They were bathing out in the warm morning sun, laying on the beach chairs by the pool. Renae, in a striking green bikini wear and Evan in a pair of orange shorts with his Ray bans on. Alesia was standing beside them in a Caribbean blue crop top, a waist high, fitting pair of really short brown shorts that showed off her curvy bum to her tan skinned thighs and a pair of blue stilettos on her feet. Her neck rounded with silver charm chains and necklaces with only a big brown bangle on her wrist.