Chapter 3

****************

 *****************

*****************

"Well, well. Look at the Fae bitch, all cleaned up'." The soldier drawled. He inhaled deeply through his nose. "Smells nice, too."

"What the hell are you doing, Flynn?" Dristan asked darkly. "You'd best sheathe that weapon before I get offended." He added.

"Well, Lieutenant... It just doesn't seem fair to me that you get to have all the fun. You've been out here quite a long time, doing gods know what, and that doesn't sit well with me." The soldier mused, tilting his head to the side to get a better look at me. "She's a pretty little thing, ain't she? Be a good man and give me a turn with her, eh?"

The soldier took a step closer. He stopped dead in his tracks when Dristan pushed me further behind his back and drew his own sword.

"Give me an order again and it'll be the last thing you ever do, private." He growled. "Sheathe your weapon, turn around, and go back to camp. Now."
The soldier's eyes flashed.

"Why're you protecting this worthless, Fae whore? All I want is five minutes with her. I won't even hit her, I swear it. I haven't had a piece of tail in months, Dristan, come on." The soldier took another step.

"Last warning." Dristan growled.

"You'd choose a Fae bitch over a soldier?" Flynn asked, cocking his head to the side.
"She is under my protection, by order of the king. Stand down now, or I will make you."
"Oh, I don't think you will." The soldier smiled.

Two more figures stepped out from the trees behind him. Two more soldiers. Two more swords. They grinned at me like carnivorous beasts.

He would never be able to take on all three of them. He was outnumbered. I began backing away from the men, slowly, as far as the chains would allow. My eyes darted around the dark, forest floor, desperate for a sharp stick or a large stone. Anything to protect myself from the disgusting soldiers.

"Stand aside, Dristan." The largest soldier hissed.
I picked up a jagged rock while they were distracted and hid it behind my back. The first of them to touch me would have a cracked skull. I would not go down quietly. Dristan turned his head and looked at me over his shoulder. His eyes were blazing pits of fury. Hesitantly, he straightened his spine.

"There's a good lad." Flynn said, slicing him a cruel smile. The men stepped past the Lieutenant as he turned and met my eyes again. Fury had turned to unyielding rage inside of his gaze.

I stumbled backward as Flynn approached me, his hands facing me, palms forward. He moved slowly, as if he were cornering an injured animal.