Chapter 72

So sorry for the long wait everyone!   Enjoy the chapter, and don't forget to read the next one on Inkitt when you're done! 🥰

  Enjoy the chapter, and don't forget to read the next one on Inkitt when you're done! 🥰

******************************

(Brenya's POV)

Queens weren't supposed to be afraid. They were supposed to be bold, and courageous, and strong. They were supposed to be wise, and knowing, and prepared. They were supposed to be fearless.

But as fear choked its way down my throat, I didn't feel like a Queen.

Terror like I had never known had wrapped it's arctic fingers around my throat and squeezed so tightly that I couldn't even scream. I felt barren and cold, as if winter had crept through my pores, latched onto my bones and kissed my blood with her frosty lips.

Rich, earthy colors zoomed by me as I sprinted through the trees, my body somehow still able to function despite my frozen mind. I tried focusing on the damp, chalky scent of the dirt beneath my feet, if only to distract my growing dread and center myself in some way.

But that plan backfired when the growing scent of night-bane gas wrinkled my nose. I cursed under my breath and pushed my legs harder.

Hurry...

The pit of dread in my gut deepened as I ran. I wasn't afraid for myself. I was afraid for my people, for my soldiers. For my friends. I hadn't wanted things to unfold like this. I wanted to prevent a fight. I never wanted anyone to have to shed blood.

I never wanted anyone to die.

But the world didn't care about my plans. It never had. The world didn't stop for me, change for me, or listen to my hopes and dreams. I couldn't control what was thrown at me.

All I could control was how I reacted. There were no other options. My reactions were my only choices...

Something clicked into place in my brain, in my heart, as that thought settled into me. Those three words repeated themselves in my mind as I sprinted through the trees and leapt over exposed roots. The ice in my veins thawed a bit, clearing my mind, as a sudden calm came over me.