Chapter 39

**************************

(Dristan's POV)

There was so much to tell her. I had no idea where to start. I was wary of her reaction to some of the things I would have to enlighten her about, as not all of them were pleasant.

My mate walked beside me, through the sunlit corridors of the eastern wings of the Aviary. I silently marveled at the way the morning sun glimmered off of her hair, and danced upon her flawless skin, as I waited for her to speak.

I knew she had questions. I knew they would come pouring out of her, any moment now. And yet she remained silent.

Curious...

The sound of our footsteps echoed through the vacant, stone hallways.

I waited.

I studied the side of her face as I gazed down at her, examining the way she furrowed her brow every now and then, the way she pursed her lips, the way she was nervously wringing her hands behind her back.

She had questions

She had questions. Of that I was sure. But it was obvious that she wasn't sure how to ask them. And I was positive that she wasn't sure she even wanted to. Especially when it came to her father. That was the topic of conversation that I was dreading the most.

After another ten minutes of silent wandering, and the maddening way in which she was avoiding my gaze, I finally broke the silence.

"You know, the fact that you are not asking me a thousand questions right now, is quite out of character for one as persistent and knowledge driven as yourself." I said, gently teasing her.

She was always so eager for information, ready to soak in as much of it as I would offer her, like a sponge. I'd found this fact irritating at first, before I'd grown to know her. Now, it was just one of the things that I adored about her. I enjoyed her persistence, her stubborn ways, her constant quest for knowledge.

And now, her lack of incessant questions was concerning.

She didn't look at me, but the corner of her full lips turned up slightly.