Chapter 54

*******************

*******************

"You're telling me that the rune is inside of this... rock?" I asked awkwardly, examining the black, lumpy stone in my hands.

"Your mother and father were very clear that the rune was to be kept safe and that it was of extreme importance to keep it hidden. We could think of no better way to hide it and keep it from harm than to encase it in a stone." The Kadoma in front of me explained.

"You said that I'd proven myself... What did you mean by that?" I asked quietly, flipping the stone over in my palm.

"Why does it matter? We've given you the rune, just as we promised we would. Now, go in peace..."

"Just as you promised my parents you would... So, they told you that I would come and I would somehow prove myself to you? Is that it?"

"They said that you would have the ability to kill us... But that you would choose not to."

I sighed in frustration. "But how could they know that? They never knew me..."

"I do not know... Your questions are tiresome. I've given you the rune, now leave my forest."

I lifted my eyes to meet the strange tree's face. "I find it intriguing how my parents got you to help them without being killed in the process. From what I know of your kind, and what I experienced here today, you're not the most welcoming of creatures."

The trees and body-less spirits around me hissed with quiet laughter.

The tree before me bent slightly at the trunk, bringing it's ominous face closer to mine. "Yes... Yes, that's an astute observation, young one. Now, for the final time, we've given you the rune and fulfilled our role. Your welcome has reached its end."

I stood my ground. "But why did you agree to play a role at all? I want to know why you helped them."

"Why does it matter?" The tree hissed with impatience.

I took a bold step closer. "Because I want to build an alliance between all of the magical beings that haven't yet been wiped out by the human king. I want to build a new empire, one with all races united."

Silence stretched around us.

The trees stood as still as death.

"I want to defeat the king. I want to send him and his armies where they belong... And the Kadoma would be a very powerful ally to have on my side. If you were willing to help my parents, I want to know why. And I want to know how I can gain your favor, too."

I waited while the Kadoma stared at me.

After a long moment, the tree in front of me let out a low chuckle. "How do you expect to bring down the king and his numerous armies?" It whispered. "Your parents failed. What makes you think you won't?"