Chapter 58

********************

My head rose and fell with the rhythm of Dristan's breathing as it rested atop his bare chest. Calm, quiet, comfortable silence surrounded us as we basked in the golden afterglow of our lovemaking. I smiled softly as I listened to the strong beating of his heart beneath my ear.

Every now and again, fleeting images of him being whipped would flash through my mind, disrupting the peace I was trying so desperately to enjoy. I was haunted by flashbacks of the horror I'd felt when I'd watched that silver filled arrow fly toward his back. Every time the memory overwhelmed me, I clung to him more tightly.

Every time I winced or pulled myself more tightly against him, he tightened his hold on me. I did not need to voice my emotions for him to know how I felt. He could feel it through the bond. He knew my fear, because he'd felt the same thing so many times before.

The only thing that helped chase the dreadful fear away was him. His presence. The sound of his breath. The pressure of his arms around me, the feel of his warm skin beneath my hands... The soothing sound of his voice as he whispered gentle words of reassurance into my ear.

By the time the sun came up, streaming through the window in buttery rays of golden light, I couldn't tell where my body began and his ended. Every bit of me was tangled up with him. My legs, my arms, my fingers, my hair, my lips...

My heart, my life, my soul...

"Lets have breakfast in bed." Dristan murmured sleepily against my forehead as his fingers lightly traced the dip of my spine.

"Hmm..." I smiled against his neck. "I thought we already did?"

His fingers stilled against the small of my back and then a low chuckle sounded from deep within his chest as he realized I wasn't talking about food. The bass of his voice, so male, sent shivers across my skin.

I nuzzled further into him, giggling. "It was delicious... All three helpings... I don't think I can take another bite." My teeth grazed his earlobe with the last word.

I squealed as he suddenly flipped to the side, trapping me beneath him. Somehow, he'd managed to snatch both of my wrists and was now holding them hostage above my head. His hips pinned my lower half down, keeping me still as he grinned down at me.

"Are you teasing me?" He asked, his sapphire eyes dancing with humor.

I struggled to hide my answering grin as I stared up at him "I wouldn't dare..."

"Oh, I think you would. And I think you do... Frequently." He smiled, leaning down as he whispered into my ear. His breath was hot, sending goosebumps across my flesh. The stubble of his overgrown facial hair added to the ticklish sensation as his mouth trailed down the slope of my neck.

I giggled, trying to pull away from him, but I couldn't move. "Dristan, stop!" I laughed, tilting my ear tightly toward my shoulder.

He swiftly moved to the other side of my neck, nuzzling the stubble of his jaw against my exposed flesh. "Stop what?" He mumbled innocently.