Chapter 22

******************

******************

I awoke the next morning and laid tangled up in the massive, cream colored blankets of my king sized bed for longer than I should have. Today was a big day, and I wasn't sure if was ready to face it. I needed some serious motivation to get going, today.

I reached for my scrying mirror, which was perched on my bedside table, and gazed into it while I thought of my father. He appeared, standing in the market under the bright, morning sun. He was talking with numerous villagers, trying to get a sale. He still looked well fed, and it helped put my mind at ease. Even all those miles away, my dad still gave me strength to put on a brave face and try to make the best of things.

I would try to remain strong thoughout the day, but it wouldnt be easy. There were three big things happening today...

Number one, Dristan had told me that I'd be visited by a beautician today. As a High Lady and a Princess, apparently I was expected to always appear polished and presentable. I wasn't looking forward to it. I was not keen on being touched and prodded at by strangers.

Number two, a doctor was coming by today. I was to be tested for illnesses, since I'd spent my entire life in a human village and was at risk for blister fever. I was also to be treated for lingering injuries from our journey, and given a basic, physical check up to rule out any potential threats to my health. I hated needles, so I was dreading it. But it was necessary.

Dristan had instructed me last night that when the doctor came, I needed to make sure he saw my 'birthmark'. I needed a way for it to be discovered without making Dristan's discovery of it look suspicious. Once the doctor found it and realized it was a rune, we could work on figuring out what kind of rune it was, and what to do about it. The thought scared me a bit, but also intrigued me...

And third, the welcoming ball was tonight. I'd have to meet countless people and keep a smile on my face while I did. Not to mention that Andromeda was going to help me pick out a dress. That was going to be awkward, to say the least.

But I had to face reality and at least try to get along with her. I had to give her a chance... For all I knew, she was a very nice person. It wasn't her fault she was betrothed to Dristan. She'd been destined for him since birth, after all...

As I thought more about Dristan and Andromeda, I suddenly felt very nauseous. I groaned and rolled out of the bed, pulling a throw blanket along with me. Wrapped up in the blanket, I made my way to the washroom. I felt a little bit better after I brushed my teeth and took a quick shower. I'd never taken a shower before. It felt like standing outside during a storm, or standing beneath a waterfall. I couldn't decide if I liked it better than the bath tub.

After dressing in my favorite kind of outfit, which consisted of an oversided, dark grey sweater, thick black leggings, and some comfortable socks, I made my way to the kitchen. The smell of fresh coffee made me smile as I sat on top of one the bar stools.