Chapter 8

***************

***************

"Where are we going?" I asked as I rode behind Dristan through the thick tangles of trees. The Bakru rode in front of us, having claimed the horses that the dead men no longer needed. Apparently, Dristan's "end of the bargain" was to give the Bakru a dozen horses in exchange for their help.

He had orchestrated the entire thing. He told me that five years ago, when he'd joined the king's army posing as a human soldier, he had given the Bakru an enchanted boulder. He told them that when he found the Fae girl that he was looking for, the boulder would light up, signaling to them that he had succeeded in finding me. Once the boulder lit up, the Bakru were to wait for Dristan at the edge of the forest, just before the eastern mountain pass. Dristan promised to give them at least one dozen horses if they would provide him with safe passage through the forest, as well as assistance in protecting me. A clever plan... But I still didn't know why he was going through all of this trouble to help me.

"I am tired. I will explain more to you once we have had a hot meal and some sleep." He looked at me over his shoulder and wrinkled his nose. "A bath wouldn't hurt either." I scowled at his back.

I tried to hide the uneasiness on my face as we rode. Each time I caught one of the Bakru staring at me with their bulbous eyes I felt a shiver go down my spine. They hadn't spoken to me, which I was grateful for. I hadn't a clue what I would say. They had not shown any sign of aggression toward us, but I still couldn't shake my fear of them.

"And where, pray tell, might we find such luxuries in the middle of the forest?" I asked sarcastically, crossing my arms.
"You'll see. Now, be silent." He huffed.
"Or what? You'll cut out my tongue? Perhaps my ears, or my eyes, or whatever else of me that pleases you?"

His back stiffened.
"He deserved it." He stated blandly.

"Why? Because I am a High Lady of some sort?" I grumbled. I still had no idea what he'd meant by that. Or why it made me special.
He turned in his saddle and paralyzed me with cold, blue eyes. "Absolutely." He growled.

I lowered my eyes and picked at my fingernails. I pursed my lips to appear unaffected by him. Mentally, I was cowering behind a chair. I was too stubborn to let him see my fear of him.

He slowed his horse and came to ride at my side. I could feel his eyes on the size of my face. My skin nearly boiled beneath his stare.

"You are not just any High Lady, Brenya." He said more softly. I looked up at him from beneath my lashes and waited for him to continue. I knew if I pushed him to elaborate he would only complain. Waiting in silence was my best bet. He sighed at the slight scowl on my face, the impatience shining in my eyes.

"You are the long lost High Lady of the Elemental line." He said quietly, assessing me with those star flecked eyes of his. "And I have been searching for you for a very long time."