Chapter 11

************

************

Dristan had taken only thirty minutes to bathe, much less time than it had taken me. He didn't seem very impressed with the magical guest house, or the fact that the washroom was more than twice the size of any of the huts in my village. I wondered if the thought even occurred to him. I doubted it.

I doubted very much that Dristan knew what it was like to have nothing. All of this magic, this luxury, the excitement... it all seemed normal to him. I both envied and hated him for it.

While he had tended to his private matters, I'd lost myself in thought. Now that I was free from the king's men, thanks to Dristan, I wondered if he would allow me to see my father.

I had to let him know that I was okay. I had to see that he was okay, for my own peace of mind, before I allowed Dristan to take me anywhere else. And if he wasn't okay, I had to do whatever I could to help him. Surly Dristan could help me see to that.

He could use his magic to help somehow, or take him somewhere safe, where he could live in peace. I made a decision in that moment...

I would willingly go with Dristan, wherever it was that he was taking me next, but only if he would let me see my father first, and help him. It seemed reasonable enough to me. Those would be my only terms, my only wish.

And if he refused my request...

I would escape. I would get out of here, somehow, or be dragged to our unknown destination kicking, screaming and biting. Determination, once again, settled into my bones as I finalized the decision in my mind. I would bring it up in the morning.

When Dristan finally emerged from the bedroom, clean and dressed in grey, wool pants and a soft black shirt, our dinner miraculously appeared on the dining room table.

There was a loud popping sound with its sudden appearance and I yelped out of surprise, nearly knocking over a potted plant near the sofa. I was about to scowl at Dristan for laughing at my startled reaction, but I was distracted by the scent of roasted chicken and garlic potatoes.

I rushed to the table with wide eyes, my mouth agape, and my stomach rumbled in anticipation. I marveled at the array of succulent food, not really sure if I was dreaming or not.

On the table sat an entire rosemary roasted chicken, a steaming bowl of smashed garlic potatoes, a pile of freshly baked rolls, a bowl of snapped green beans, four ears of seasoned sweet corn, two giant sweet rolls with cinnamon, a glistening pitcher of iced tea, and a large jug of ale.

On either end of the table were two dinner plates, silverware, goblets, napkins, and two folded pieces of paper. One was labeled, "High Lady Brenya Blackwell". The other, "Lord Dristan Draconian".

I wasted no time. I grabbed my plate and piled it high with a generous helping of each and every kind of delicious option we'd been given. I rushed back to my end of the table and sat down before filling my goblet with trembling hands, and dug in.