Chapter 74

⚠️ WARNING! ⚠️

This is the final chapter. 😢
This is a double update, so MAKE SURE you read chapter 73 FIRST!
Also, you may want to have tissues and ice cream readily available.
Enjoy...

*************************

"The rain to the wind said,
You push and I'll pelt.
They so smote the garden bed,
That the flowers lay lodged;
Though not dead.
I know how the flowers felt."
-Robert Frost

****************************

(Brenya's POV)

My hands shook as I placed the final rune.

I could hear the distant roar of the raging war in the distance. I struggled to focus as Dristan's presence in my mind grew less and less like him, and more and more like his dragon. I could feel his feral instincts, could taste his thirst for blood. There was a wild, instinctual fury down the bond, and it frightened me.

I stood, pulling the piece of parchment I'd ripped from my Book Of Shadows out of my pocket. Hastily, I unfolded the aged paper. The words on the page stared up at me, filling me with anxiety. As soon as I spoke these words, the portal would open.

A strong wind swirled around me as my nerves grew stronger. I inhaled deeply, closed my eyes, and let out a slow breath.

It was time.

This was it. I was standing on the edge of the future, facing the precipice I'd worked so hard to reach, and the time to jump was here. Summoning all of my determination, I squared my shoulders, turned on my heel, and skated on the wind toward the battlefield.

Trees whipped by, the thorns and branches slicing my skin as I went, but as quickly as the small cuts and scratches appeared, they healed. I pushed myself faster, the aid of the wind beneath my feet and at my back. All of this use of my power should have been draining me, but I didn't feel tired. I didn't feel weak. My body was still thrumming with magic.

When the others had brought me back from the brink of death, giving me a portion of each of their magic, it had somehow filled my being with power. At first, the overwhelming feeling of magic had been uncomfortable, like an itch I couldn't scratch, but now...

It felt more like a blessing in disguise. It couldn't have happened at a better time. While the other's were surely running low on magic after this battle, I was still overflowing with it. It had given me the fuel I needed to have an edge in this fight.