Chapter 26

****************

****************

Dristan stared down at me with furrowed brows, his mouth a grim line, as the knock as the door sounded again. He seemed to be made of stone as we held each other in a panicked gaze.

"Go to the balcony. Stay out of sight." He murmured hurriedly.

Before he let me up, he snapped his fingers. I felt a strange, quick breeze of cold air run over every surface of my skin, even through my clothing. It only lasted a split second and then the phantom wind was gone.

"What was that?" I whispered as he stood to his feet and adjusted the stiff bulge, still quite noticeable through his pants. I tried not to lick my lips as I watched.

"I masked your scent and removed it from my body. Now, go!" He hissed, motioning toward the open balcony doors.

I hastily stood to my feet and scurried toward the balcony, throwing a few glances at him over my shoulder as he walked toward the front door. Not watching where I was going, I stumbled into the small table near the balcony entryway, knocking a vase to the floor. It shattered noisily and I cringed as I turned my head toward Dristan.

He glared at me, clearly losing his patience.

"Sorry..." I mouthed at him, shrinking as his face darkened further.

"GO." He mouthed back slowly, making me feel like a child.

I slid through the doors and snuck toward the far left corner of the patio, pressing my back tightly against the stone wall. I slid down the cold surface and came to a sitting position, hugging my knees against my heaving chest.

My heart was still racing, my body still singing from what he'd done to it only moments ago.

I heard Dristan fidgeting with the several locks on his door before hesitantly opening it. I held my hands over my mouth and nose to keep the sound of my accelerated breathing under control.

"Dristan, what the hell took you so long? And what in gods name happened to your rooms? Are you alright?" Warrick's familiar voice almost made me sigh in relief. Better it be him than Ronan or Andromeda.

"Damnit, Rick, can I not have one day to myself? I told you my dragon has been agitated lately. I'm perfectly fine." Dristan growled.

"I know, I'm sorry friend, but this is important. Ronan has called for an emergency council meeting regarding Princess Brenya. The meeting will adjourn in one hour. I went to the Princess's rooms to inform her, but she is not there. Andromeda said she might be in the Library, but I already looked. She's missing."

There was a long beat of silence before Dristan let out a long sigh. "I see. She can be quite taxing for a little thing, can she not?" Warrick chuckled before Dristan continued. "Let me get cleaned up and I will come help you find her. I'll meet you near the library in twenty minutes."