Chapter 55

*************************

As I flew, quite literally, through the dark forest treetops, Ronan silently followed behind me. Graceful and quiet, he sprung from branch to branch, from tree to tree, sticking to my heels like a shadow through the woods. He did not complain or struggle to keep up as I increased my speed, effortlessly twirling, somersaulting and diving around every branch in my path.

I glanced down, my sharp eyes easily able to see all the way to the forest floor. Occasionally, I would see a dark shape as we silently passed above. Creatures of the forest, the kind who thrived in the night. Once upon a time, I would've been terrified at the thought of those unknown beasts lurking below me.

But not now. Not anymore.

Now, I was the one they should be wary of.

Swift, silent, deadly, and eagerly seeking vengeance... We were practically invisible as we followed the scent of our companions. A scent which grew stronger by the minute as we drew nearer and nearer.

I gritted my teeth as I dodged between the trees, perplexed and worried as to why I was not picking up on the scent of Marrok, Andromeda or Torryn's blood. Only Dristan's... What were those monsters doing to him?

My teeth involuntarily bared themselves in fury as the possibilities of what was happening to him flashed through my mind. I could feel my canines lengthening, ready to tear the soft flesh from the human soldiers throats. My fingertips throbbed as my nails protruded, sharpening into deadly points. My magic burned within me, desperate to be unleashed.

The more pronounced the scent of Dristan's blood became, the more I began to lose touch with rational thought. While the rational side of my mind ebbed away, something else inside of me was building to take it's place. Something dark, violent and extremely dangerous.

Something lethal, pregnant with malice and spite... And when it was born, unleashed upon the soldiers who had spilled my mate's blood, I knew that they would scream and beg for mercy at my feet. The image curled my lips into a wicked smile.

I was turning into someone else. Someone I did not know, did not fully understand... Someone I was unaware existed, as if she had been slumbering beneath my skin, waiting patiently to wake at a time when she was needed most.

Someone that thirsted for blood. Someone that did not know guilt, or remorse, or reason. Someone that only knew that my mate's life was in danger, and that she would die before she stood aside and let it happen to him.

It was a part of me that was even more inhuman than I already was.

And I welcomed her.

I slowed my pace as a strange light source came into view up ahead. It looked like torch light... Only it was violet.

I lowered my body through the air, settling mt feet gracefully onto the thick tree branch below me. I felt Ronan's presence appear to my right as I lowered my stance, crouching on the limb like a jungle cat.