Chapter 31

********************

"How does he know where to go?" I asked Ronan breathlessly as we struggled to keep up with Dristan. He was practically sprinting down the corridors, turning left, then right, then down, down, down...

The lower parts of the castle were like an intricate maze, where one might get lost forever if they didn't know their way.

Warrick ran behind Dristan, his deep purple wings tucked in tightly to avoid scraping against the narrow hallways. Ronan jogged behind me, his breathing deep and even, as though the physical exertion did not hinder him in the slightest. I however, was gasping for breath, my lungs burning, my legs aching in their high heels.

A few dragon guards, whom I did not know, were trailing behind Ronan. Dristan had grabbed them and told them to follow us as soon as we'd left the balcony. He needed witnesses...

Warrick has come as soon as Dristan called for him. He'd asked what was happening and Dristan had told him there wasn't time to explain. He asked no further questions as he followed his Dragon Lord.

"When someone gives another person the locator rune, that persons whereabouts are implanted in the instinctual area of the giver's mind. He doesn't know, exactly, where she is. He only knows he's going the right direction."

"Oh..." I huffed, turning a corner.

After an excruciatingly long ten minutes, Dristan finally slowed down up ahead. The rest of us followed suit. He paused in front of a small, wooden door, which was tucked snugly against the corner of the long, ancient corridor.

The hallways and ceilings were covered in cobwebs, a sure sign that no one ever came down here. I wondered what this area was even used for... Storage perhaps?

Soft moaning could be heard from behind the door and I held a hand over my mouth to keep from making any noise. Dristan turned toward Warrick and the other dragon guards and nodded once, his mouth a thin line. His eyes were stormy.

Warrick pushed him aside and waved the other guards toward him. They stood behind him as he leaned back, raised his foot, and kicked the door down with impressive force.

The door fell to the ground with a loud thump.

Warrick, Dristan, the guards, Ronan and I, all darted into the room. I stood behind Dristan and Ronan's towering forms as the scene before us unfolded.

Torryn had Andromeda bent over a stone table, her skirts bunched up around her waist. His own pants were in a heap at his feet.

"Gods above..." Warrick whispered.

As light from the hallway poured into the room, I saw expressions of shock and fear flash across both of their faces as their heads whipped toward us.