Chapter 19

(Note: This is the second chapter I've published today, so make sure you read them in order! 😊)

*******************

Dristan's body visually stiffened beside me. His brows furrowed tightly, the deep V between them puckering out.

He and Sylvie continued to stare at each other in silence, her grey blue eyes glistening through the darkness. Marrok hung his head.

"You and Kale were married?" I asked, confused and appalled. Sympathy and horror overflowed from my core, stinging inside of my veins and turning my blood to ice.

A strangled chuckle fell from Sylvie's lips. "No, we were not married. We were mated."

"I don't understand... what does that mean?" I asked, glancing between her and the Dragon Lord.

"You don't know? What kind of Fae doesn't know what a mate is?" Marrok chimed in, lifting his head and looking at me as if I'd grown a second head.

I swallowed the uncomfortable lump that had formed in my throat and my cheeks began to burn.

"I, er..." I stuttered, looking away.

"You are in no position to ask questions, mutt." Dristan growled defensively.

Marrok bared his elongated teeth, but dropped his gaze submissively at the authority in Dristan's tone. I turned my eyes back to Sylvie, who was now staring blankly at Kale's body behind me.

"Being mated is different than being married... Marrige is a choice. Mates are rare, but when you find yours... There is no choice involved. When two mates meet, their entire world, their entire reason for existing, changes. It's an unbreakable bond between two beings, a blessing cherished above all else... It's the merging of two souls." She said sadly. Tears fell from her eyes as she stared, unblinking, at her mates lifeless figure.

"O-oh..." Was all I could manage to respond with. I had never heard of such a thing. I never knew something like that could exist... "I'm so sorry..." I added.

Dristan remained silent, studying the female's sorrowful face. He hadn't apologized, or shown a hint of emotion on his hard, tanned face.

"Don't be sorry." Sylvie said, surprising me. She squeezed her eyes shut and licked her dry, cracked lips.

"What?" I whispered, completely perplexed.

"I fucking hated Kale." She said as the seemingly never ending stream of tears continued down her damp cheeks. "He was a monster. He was constantly fucking other women, some against their will, some begging for it... He beat me regularly... He wasn't as bad, before his parents and siblings died... But it got much worse after it happened." She began to sob again. "Roux was the only sibling he had left."