9

At night..

He can't sleep

"A life that's not as someone's secretary, nor as a breadwinner. Just a life as me, (Y/n) (L/n)."

Those words clouded his mind.

At times like this, Levi curses his insomnia. He hates being awake and being reminded of things that make him feel irritated or troubled.

The man stirs in his crisp clean bed, eyes wide awake.

Levi recalls his conversation with Hanji in the office tonight, right before he told (Y/n) to drive him home.

--- Flashback --- A talk with Hanji--

"What could be her reason.."

Hanji laughs, "This again ? Really, shorty ?" She points a pencil towards him, "You told her that you guys' relationship is strictly business. Maybe that's why."

"Tch."

"Try to think about any.. previous events you had with her. Maybe you could find.. some sort of clue ?"

The man crosses his arms across his chest, recalling all the past events he had with his secretary. His brain racks through his memories perfectly, not even a single detail left behind. From the day she was recruited, until the time when (Y/n) and him had lunch at Ackerman's residence.

But then.

A certain memory stood out among the others.

-- FURTHER FLASHBACK -- At Hanji's wedding--

"Awww," Petra inhales the sweet aroma of the bouquet of flowers, hugging it close to her, "Thanks Levi boo ! You're the best." She winks at Levi, who only replies with a nod.

His ears caught the sound of someone sniffling.

Levi averts his gaze to his secretary, who's standing patiently a bit behind Petra. Her eyes are a bit red and teary.

'Huh..?'

(Y/n) sniffles again, this time scrunching her nose and then looking away from Petra.

-- END OF FURTHER FLASHBACK --

"She was crying."

"Huh ?"

Levi straightened his posture, "On the day of your wedding party, I saw (L/n) crying when I gave the slut, Petra, a bouquet of flowers."

"I never thought you're the type that gives flowers to women, Levi." Hanji smirked.

"Shut the fuck up, I'm not. Let me explain it first."

And so, he spends about 11 minutes explaining what happened that night at the wedding party. Levi told Hanji how Petra suddenly appeared and ended up being a whiny brat because he didn't remember her birthday. Thus, as a good secretary who always got his back, (Y/n) went all the way out to buy flowers for Petra and made up a lie about how Levi actually didn't forget about Petra's birthday. (Y/n) uttered that Levi actually had prepared a present for Petra, but he left it in the car.

Hanji roars in laughter as soon as Levi finishes telling his story, "Oh my God, shorty.. THAT WAS HILARIOUS AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH I CAN'T- PFFFT-"

"Yeah yeah keep laughing like a pig, I'm wasting my time here for fuck's sake-"

"Woah chill, for a short man you're also short tempered. But I think you're not short down there.." She teased and pissed the hell out of Levi, "Anyways, I think it's understable why she wants to quit."