Unexpected Wedding

Kayal's POV

The day of my birthday dawned with me waking Vidhu and Reshma. I hugged Vidhu as the first thing in the morning. She also apologized for her rude behavior. Feroz and Prince came some time later. When Vidhu and Reshma left after giving me my birthday gifts (a beautiful Salwar Kameez) Feroz asked my Amma. "Aunty, how is it that you send her out every year in the middle of the night?"

"Feroz, you worry too much. The world is not filled with rapists and serial killers. There are good people too. And as for their safety, I always arrange a Police Patrol jeep to follow them. My friend is a Sub Inspector in Police Department and she follows them right from the time they leave our home till they reach."

I told Amma, "Amma, that Aunty was really sweet yesterday. How does she accept to do this every year?"

Now my Appa entered, "Tell them. Tell them about all the things which both of you did in your teen years."

Amma retorted, "I am not ashamed to tell that I had an interesting youth life. Back then that SI was my best friend and neighbor. We used to sneak out often. You guys are living a boring life. Yesterday I heard from her that some Muslim guy stalked you and got royally from Vidhu. Who was that?"

I replied, "Salim Ali ma." I then explained everything that happened.

My Amma laughed and said, "Kayal, you are stuck with over protective friends. I pity you. But still, please tell me when you have to sneak out next time. I will make some arrangements for your safety."

I smiled and said, "You are the best Amma in the whole world." I then got ready for my office. My Appa did a simple prayer in our home. Amma made my favorite sweets. Feroz and Prince gave me a gift voucher to buy novels. My Appa and Amma gave me a beautiful bracelet as my gift. My Appa warned me that I should never mortgage it. I laughed at him.

Office went by in a haze. In the lunch I opened my e mail to find a greeting card from Salim. It had a wonderful design. I know he is good with Photoshop because of his Visual Communication background. His wishes were simple and beautiful.

It read, "Today is the day when you came on this earth. I bless that day because on that day, we became destined to meet each other. You are the person who always takes care of others even if it is a trouble to you (Thanks a ton for all the pre dawn breakfasts which you made till now and which I hope you will make in future as well. I am missing your food). You make us feel special and important. The very capability of yours to become compassionate with others (I am happy that along with tutoring us, you also take time to tutor Muskaan) makes you special. Thank you for having my back (Thanks for letting me pray when we were struggling to finish our presentation, standing up for me whenever Professor Adhikari provokes me). You motivate me to give my best shot and inspire me to be a better human being. I am happy that I got the opportunity to get to know you in my life. May all your dreams come true. I wish you a very Happy Birthday."

I never thought that somebody can miss my food. I know he is praising me too much. He had sent a copy of the mail to John as well. Very funny. I replied, "Salim, thank you so much for your wishes. I am overwhelmed. Between your grandmother told me the secret about our Sunday dinner. So please don't praise my food too much and embarrass me. Still, I am eager to make all of you as my guinea pigs with my future experiments. As with me inspiring you, trust me you inspire me more. As much as I want to quote Thiruvalluvar's "Siraikaakkum Kaappevan" as suggested by Vidhu regarding yesterday's incident, I am happy that we are worth caring for. Vidhu apologized to you. Don't ask me why but I always have the feeling that you have my back. So the feeling is mutual. Thank you for being there.