Gender Stereotypes, let's break it, it's fun

Salim's POV

Next morning, I woke up early to feed myself some Pre dawn breakfast. I couldn't see Kayal in the bench where she had slept. Wondering where she might have left this early in the morning, I left for our temporary kitchen. She was leaning her back towards a pillar in the corridor and had extended both her legs in the small wall. I always find this pose attractive. She was drinking her coffee. Bharathi was leaning few pillars behind her, checking her mobile. As soon as I went near her, she gave me a fake smile. Something wrong might have happened. She said, "Good morning Salim. We have run out of provisions. We will be getting them only after two or three hours. We just have bread. I just toasted few of them for you and yeah, have some coffee. Are you sure that you want to fast?"

"Good morning Kayal. Very sure. This is a test from Allah(SWT). And yes, thank you very much for preparing these things."

She again gave her fake smile and looked away. I sat down opposite to her when she folded one of her leg and left the other leg down. Her coffee tasted great. I said, "Kayal, look at me." When I was sure that she was looking directly in my eyes I asked her, "What happened Kayal?"

"Do you remember that small baby whom you put to sleep on the first day we came here?"

"Yes."

"Her parents had died last night."

Ya Allah, I said, "Inna Lillahe Wa Inna Ilahe Rajioon (Surely we belong to Allah (SWT) and to Him shall we return). Where is she now?"

"With her aunt."

"Kayal, don't worry. I am sure she will be well taken care of. Over here people are extremely caring. She will definitely grow up surrounded by lots of love."

She again nodded and looked away. I said, "Kayal, now tell me, what is actually bothering you?"

"I am afraid of death Salim. Not my own death, but death of my loved ones. I have never faced such a situation yet in my life. Three of my grandparents passed away before my birth. Everybody else who passed away in my family during my growing up years were my distant relatives. Deaths like this bring out that hidden fear within me. What will happen to me, if I lose a loved one? Long back, my Appa lost his best friend and he went into a state of depression for a short period of time. I am worried whether I can bounce back after such a loss, whether I can survive the death of my loved ones. I think that is one reason why I am over protective about people whom I care for. I don't want anything to happen to them. I know it is a very stupid thing to worry about something which hasn't happened yet. I am mostly successful in pushing that fear to the back of my brain. But, these instances bring back that fear to me. I am sure the first death will shatter me to pieces."

I silently promised that I will stand by her and support her if she loses her loved ones. Three years back, I lost my maternal grandfather with whom I was really close. My only consolation was I can meet him again in Jannah. But, Kayal doesn't believe in hereafter. I told her, "Kayal, in life we will have to say good bye to some people whom we really care for. How much ever we care for them we cannot control their destiny. Everybody comes to this earth with an expiry date. We just have to consider ourselves lucky for having the opportunity to spend some time with them. When you face such a situation in life, remember sometimes staying strong is not a choice, but it is the only option. It is the only way to survive in life. Each and every bad experience in your life is supposed to mould you to a stronger person. Just like what you told Azhar when you were in your Gangster form yesterday, you are never alone in this world. You always have the support and care of so many people around you. And then, count your blessings. It is more important to count your blessings in your tough times and turn yourself towards God."