To trust and to be trusted

Salim's POV

I was expecting somebody to deliver food. I never thought Kayal herself would come to deliver food. As soon as I saw her outside the mosque, I was beyond surprised. She was wearing a rain coat and everything was covered except her face. Thankfully, when I went near her, Umar also joined me. There was another guy with her. She was helping in getting the parcels outside the van. As soon as she saw me, she said, "Hai Salim."

I replied in my excited voice "Hai Kayal."

I collected the parcels from her. The Imaam of our mosque asked her to come inside for a while. The other guy also joined her. I didn't want to stay back. I also went inside. She introduced the other guy as Arugan. Imaam expressed his gratitude. When somebody called him, he went outside while Kayal was noting down the list of requirements for tomorrow. Arugan was helping in arranging stuff. I took this opportunity to apologize. "Kayal, I am really really sorry for what happened with my Peribuvva. When the nurse told her that you had risked your life to save my niece, she regretted her mistake. Please forgive."

"I forgot that long back Salim. It is my humble belief that nobody has the right to judge me other than my own self. I define myself. Nobody else has the authority or eligibility to do that. Even if they do I don't care for it. One reason why I chose to come to Chennai was to tell myself that there are better things to worry about in this earth than how some mean people judge me. On top of it, it is also partially your mistake as well as their naivety."

I was stunned, what does she mean? "My mistake and their naivety??"

"Yeah, they are so naïve that they think that guys who remain like calm and innocent with them are the same outside their homes. You must be putting up a great innocent child act in your home. That is why people are worried about you getting influenced by other people's choices."

Before I could react, Umar spoke poking me, "Of course, my Anna(Elder Brother) is innocent."

She gave one glance to Umar and again concentrated on the paper in her hand and started speaking, "Well, for starters innocent men don't eaves drop women's conversations. They don't go around punching Teaching Assistants on their faces. Innocent men don't glare at Professors as if they are his prey. They don't teach wrong techniques of wheeling to dumb guys."

I thought she didn't know about me teaching wheeling to Unni. Clever woman she is. Before she could go on, I stopped her from embarrassing me more.

"Kayal, please. He is my younger brother."

"I know. I remember seeing him in our campus. Thambi(Younger brother) you must also be knowing his 'Kazhuvura meenla nazhuvura meen' (A fish which escapes your hand while washing) technique."

Umar faked curiosity, "What is that?"

"Your brother is an expert in that technique. Whenever the topic of discussion is not according to his favor, he will subtly change the topic and distract the speaker. You should also learn that from him."

As much as I enjoyed her conversation, I also got a hint that my brother and my future wife are a lethal combination. Both of them are bent upon embarrassing me to death. Alhamdulillah Mustafa joined us. I said, "This is"

Before I could complete she said, "Fathima's husband. I remember seeing him in the marriage. How is Fathima?"

Ya Allah, I was worried that she had started on a wrong foot with Mustafa. Mostly men don't like to be introduced as their wife's husband. I could sense the way Mustafa was feeling uncomfortable. I warned myself that in future, I should be okay when some of Kayal's family or friends refer me as Kayal's husband.

Salim and Kayal #Watty's 2016 # YourStoryIndia #ProjectWomanUpOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara