Chapter 13

Ruqayyah's POV

After what felt like the longest dinner ever, it was finally over and I was now in the living room's couch with Dawud, laughing out that awkward situation in the dining room.

"I don't really know what has gotten into them, I just know that I am definitely not getting married now. I just wanna finish my studies then I'll think about that." I tell Dawud. I'm glad things didn't get awkward between us after our mothers nearly forced us to get married at that dining table.

"But actually... If I were to be honest with you..." He says as he gets up from his seat to join me in the sofa I was in, "I didn't think it was too insane what they were saying because I've been thinking about it, to be honest." He says and I immediately form a smile.

"Oh, really! And you weren't thinking about telling me? Who is it?!"

"I didn't know how you would react," He states and I knew he was beating around the bush. I just didn't know why.

"Is my opinion that important to you?"

"Extremely... because without your permission, nothing will happen." He says and I give him a curious expression.

"Wait, is she Muslim?"

"Yes."

"Does she pray?"

"Yes, she's pretty religious and she's very kind hearted as well."

"Then what are you waiting for? Maashaa Allah, you found someone like that. Go for it, if she feels the same way."

"I don't know if she feels the same way. I haven't asked her yet."

"Dawud, you've never been the shy type. What are you waiting for? Do you want me to talk to her?"

"Would you do that?" He forms a smile and I nod.

"Yep, just show me her and I'll know how to approach her."

"Alright," He says as he grabs his phone and goes to albums, I lean closer to see the picture and I burst into laughter.

"Look at you tryna be funny. Is that me? I do look younger, but I can still recognise myself." I say and if this was back when we were young, I'd have slapped his shoulder like I always used to do.

"I'm not tryna be funny." He seats up straight, which meant he was not as close to me as before. I appreciate that, he knows I'm about to become uncomfortable. "Will you still talk to her for me?" He plays and I chuckle, although I'm still in shock. I know he's doing this so I feel less pressured. He's like a brother to me, what's going on? No one prepared me for this.

"You're playing, right?" I ask to make sure he was. He better be, he must be, he has to be.

"No, I've never been so serious, and you know me, marriage was something I did not even like to talk about until far in the future. You were the only one who could make me see things differently." He explains and I just remain still analysing the situation I was in.

Let me see if I get it... So, my childhood friend aka my cousin aka the one I saw as a brother, has just asked me for marriage. No, that's not it. I'm tripping. I know I'm tripping.

"I'm sorry... I just don't know what to say... we basically grew up together and I used to see you as a brother," I speak honestly.

"So maybe it's time to stop seeing me as a brother and even as a friend,"

"Dawud, you've seen how my mum was at the dining table. I don't want her to see us like this. She's already really fond of you."

"I wanted to talk to your parents about that." He says and I immediately widen my eyes.