Chapter 19

Alex's POV

Waking up really early? This is not me. I barely slept last night. In fact, lately there's only been one thing in my mind. Thinking about a girl and not being able to sleep was something I never thought I'd experience before. Since the first day I saw her in Mazzini, something had gotten into me. I couldn't stop staring at her and paying attention to everything she did. I knew she wasn't like all the other girls in our year and I figured I had to take things slow with her.

It's true, I've dated a couple of times. My thing is not really dating, I'm more of a one-day thing and done. I've just gone out with Jess because at the time, I needed a distraction from all of my problems. My dad began with his conversation of wanting me to take his position later on without even consulting me. It's all about his wants and needs.

"How did you find out about this place?" She asks and takes a sip out of her drink.

Is it possible to find someone attractive when they're eating? Because Ruqayyah is beautiful for me in every single way.

"I drove past here one day and I had to stop to check it out. From then, this has been my concentration zone. Like, you know when you are really stressed out or something, this is a really good spot to calm you down. It has always worked for me." I reply and she closes her drink, places it on the basket and faces me.

"Are you stressed? That's why you wanted to come here?" She asks, sounding concerned. I'm happy to know that she cares about me as much as I care about her.

"If there is something I really can not be right now is stressed,"

"Of course, this place calms you," She looks at the lake not so far from where we are.

"No, you are here." I state and her eyes meet mine, but I somehow knew she would change the subject.

"How many others have you brought here?" She asks and I am not quite sure what she meant, "I'm sure I'm not the first one. I mean, why would I be..."

"Because you are special," I say, but I did not expect her to believe it, "I told you yesterday... Whether you neglect it or not, I meant it."

"I think we should get going," She starts to nervously pack everything inside the basket.

"How long are you going to ignore me for?" I grab the basket withdrawing it from her hand.

"Alex... Please, stop. I meant what I said yesterday... This... This would never work."

"We can make it work_"

"No! If you want us to be friends, you have to drop this conversation."

"We can never be just friends," I tell the truth, not only to herself but also to myself. I seriously believed I could keep this a friendship, but it's obvious that if things proceed this way, that could never happen.

"We can if we try,"

" I don't want to."

"Then... You'll lose me." Those were her last words before she grabbed the basket from me and got up towards the car.

I sigh as I get up from my seat and realise why people often think they are not in control of who they heart chooses. Maybe they are right. Plenty of girls begging for my attention and I had to fall for the one girl who wants me away. I just don't want to mess things up with her, now that we were starting to get along.

I walk about a metre or two to grab some dahlia flowers before walking to my car to meet Ruqayyah waiting for me outside the car. Yep, I was right, I did put her in a bad mood.