Chapter 31

Ruqayyah's POV

My Sunday was spent with my sister and her family. As always, every Sunday she comes to my house. Today I didn't need to get a lift from anyone, I'm right now parking near my dormitory building. It is still 7:40pm.

I abruptly stop my car when I realise by the mirrors that some other car was behind me. Did I hit the car? Oh, no!

The stresses of owning a car for the first time are saying hello.

I close my eyes tight as I hear the person leave their car.

I open the window of my car when I realise it was Turker,

"Yo, what's up princess, you good?" He asks and I nod, embarrassment written all over my face. He's probably thinking I'm a bad driver.

"Good, so, you know these things are usually to help the driver see and kinda avoid accidents, right?" He refers to the mirrors and I lightly nod.

"Yes, I'm sorry... I just need to get used to this driving thing." I give a shy smile.

"So, do you need help parking?"

"No, thank you. I can make it."

"I'll see you around then." He says before leaving.

I sigh in relief and frustration at the same time. I can't believe I was going to destroy my car on my first day using it. My mum would kill me.

After parking, I leave towards my dorm. Aisha's bags were on her side of the room, but she wasn't here. I just lay down for a while before the adhan for Maghrib goes off.

After praying, I receive a call from Bianca.

"Hey, Ruqayyah, are you back to campus yet?"

"Yeah, I got here like half an hour ago."

"Wanna go dine at Mazzini?"

"Sure."

"So come down, I and Jameelah are down here waiting for you."

"Really? What if I had said no?"

"We'd drag you out one way or the other." She says playfully.

"How aggressive," I look over to the window to see them waiting for me. "Give me five minutes," I say before hanging up.

I change into a plain black abaya and wear my coat, headscarf and white reebok trainers. I wore everything black except for the shoes.

We arrived at Mazzini at 8:30pm and ordered our food before sitting down at a table at the far end.

"Have you heard? The boys will have a football match on Friday, against Treeton college." Bianca starts as soon as we are sat.

"We will definitely go watch that!" Jameelah says in excitement, "But I'm sure we'll win, we always do as long as Alex, Youssef and Turker are in there."

"Yeah, Turker is pretty good as well," Bianca says before our orders arrived.

"Noise level is gonna get high," Jameelah states and we look at the door to see the boys entering.

Thankfully we were sat at the far end. I don't think they acknowledged us.

As we eat, Jameelah and Bianca talk about what they did over the weekend. I just tried to keep quiet and be as unnoticeable as possible, but that wasn't possible since Alex was facing me and we would obviously make eye contact at times. But I could notice he was trying not to. He is really doing what he promised, he'd forget me as soon as I told him that's what I wanted. I guess I should do the same. But I keep telling myself that and no matter what I do and how much I try not to think about him, I can't.