Chapter 14

Ruqayyah's POV

After lunch with my family, including my sister and her family, I pull my sister to my room. I need to ask her for help, my mum always listens to her.

"I need your help!"

"What happened?"

"Mum is tryna force me into a marriage!"

"Wait, what!? With who? Do you know him at least?"

"Yes, it's Dawud."

"But Dawud is all the way in Spain,"

"He's here now, for a few months I guess,"

"Don't worry, we still have time until they plan everything out. I will talk to mum." She tries to remain calm although she seemed to be in shock herself.

"They already planned it, it's in two months."

"I can't believe this! They promised not to ever do that. What have you done?" She says because my sister had this conversation with them before she got married and my parents were totally against forced marriages and now this is happening.

"It's all so complicated, mum just_" I begin to explain but she interrupts me.

"Let me be clearer, why were you at the park on Wednesday?"

I thought she had forgotten about that already.

"Why are you asking about that now?"

"Before I saw you at the park, mum called me saying that she received a text message, something to do with you and some guy in a coffee shop. I don't know who sent that text but I know maybe that is the reason she made all this forced marriage thing. She thinks you are in that boyfriend and girlfriend zone." She says and my mouth went wide.

"What!!!" Someone is snitching on me? Someone is watching me to tell my mum what I do?

My life is worse than a movie now. Who the heck could it be?

"That's what it looks like, but no matter what, I'm on your side, just don't hide anything from me. I will figure out a way to make mum give up on this." She says, but I don't react. I could just think of being observed while I was at the coffee shop with Alex.

It is terrifying!

***

"Thank you so much for your support. I'll see you at the weekend Insha'Allah." I hug my sister goodbye.

After saying Assalamu Aleykum to everyone, I leave the car and make my way to my dorm. It was already past 10 pm. I had dinner at home before I came.

I was walking towards my dorm when I heard, "I thought you said you wouldn't be back," I turn to find Alex.

"I didn't know I was coming either," I reply and he walks his way to me.

"But I'm kinda happy you didn't leave,"

For some reason that made me smile but I quickly rub the smile off. That was weird.

"Kinda?" I find myself asking.

"Alright, I take that back, I am happy you didn't leave."

"Were you waiting for me?" I ask but immediately regret it.

Why would he be waiting for me? What a stupid question.

"I was." He surprises me with the answer.

Looks like it wasn't as stupid.

"Why?... I-I mean... for what reason?" Why am I stammering?

"Are you nervous?" He steps closer as he forms a smirk.