Chapter 48

Ruqayyah's POV

"I'll be back." I tell Hafsah (Bianca) and Youssef as I walk away to pick up a phone call.

"Assalamu Aleykum, Ruqayyah," My mum greets on the other side of the phone.

"Wa Aleykumu Salaam wa Rahmatullah, mum did anything happen?" I ask due to her voice.

"I didn't tell you before because I didn't want to worry you."

"What happened? Are you okay?"

"It's not me. Zeinab and Dina had a car accident on their way home on Saturday. Dina got hurt, but Zeinab is in critical conditions." My mum says and my heart immediately raced.

"What do you mean critical conditions?"

"She's in a coma."

"La hawla wa laa quwwata illaa billah (There is no might and power except in Allah)" I state in shock and worry overtakes me.

"I'm sorry, I didn't tell you this before. I knew you had exams to get ready for. I did not want another problem in your mind." She explains, but I remain quiet. I couldn't talk. I could feel tears form in my eyes already.

"Ruqayyah," My mum calls me, "Please, don't cry. I don't want you to worry about this for now. Let's just pray to Allah that she gets better soon."

"Thank you for letting me know."

"I will see you on Saturday."

"In shaa Allah. Call me if you need anything. Assalamu Aleykum wa Rahmatullah."

After her reply, she hangs up. I make sure I wipe my tears before making my way back.

As I turn around, I bump into someone

"I'm sorry." That's all I say, even after noticing the person I bumped into was Turker.

I just couldn't think right now

"Ruqayyah," He calls before I had the chance to leave, "Are you okay?"

"Yes." I limit to that and I walk away before he could say anything else.

As I reach the table I was at, I noticed I was not the only one going through a tough day. Hafsah (Bianca) was also on the verge of crying. But Youssef was there to comfort her. I say it because whatever it is that he was telling her, made her smile. As much as I'd wanted to know what happened and help, I decide to give them a minute and go outside instead.

I came to the library to wait for my sister as this is closer from her house and has more parking space. I told Hafsah (Bianca) she could have gone home and that there was no need to wait for me, but she stubbornly opposed. Youssef dicided to wait with her. I have the impression that something is going on and they are hiding it from me.

I hear the horn of a car, taking me out of my thoughts. It was my sister. I give her a small smile before walking inside to grab my bag.

"Hafsah (Bianca)," I call her attention and she looks at me, "My sister is here. If you want, she can give you a ride home." I offer and she gives me a weak smile. Whatever it is that's going on, it has really upset her.

"It's okay, I'll be here for a little bit more." She says, her voice low from her crying. I lower down and give her a hug.

"You don't seem okay," I say as I hug her tighter.

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine."

"Youssef, take good care of her," I instruct.

"She's safe with me," He assures. After saying Salaam to them, I leave towards my sister's car.