The Blind Banker: Chapter 20

As you were hailing a taxi, Sherlock bumped into a couple, causing them to drop a book they were looking at. The man immediately started yelling at Sherlock in German, and you looked back to see what was going on. Sherlock apologized in German, handing back their book and you looked at it. It was a London A to Z book. Puzzle pieces immediately began to connect in your mind and you stood stock still, adrenaline pumping through your veins.

"We missed the taxi." Sherlock sighed, stressed as he looked around. You just stood staring at the couple looking down at the book. You'd never read London A to Z, you didn't need to since you'd grown up here. It was a book everyone would own... you needed that book.

"Y/n?" Sherlock questioned. You glanced at him before you sprinted after the couple, ripping the book from their hands. The man yelled at you in German to give it back and various other rude insults, but you drowned them out, thumbing through the book. Sherlock ran after you, watching as you frantically flipped the pages.

"Of course... a book everyone would own! " Sherlock groaned, you could almost hear in his voice as he remembered all the places he had seen it.

"Page 15, entry one..." you muttered, remembering the first cipher. The warning sign. You flipped to the page and got your word. "Deadman." You looked, wide eyed at Sherlock in understanding.

"The next one." Sherlock ushered, unfolding your sketch from his pocket. You grinned at him, flipping to the next page.

"For." You told Sherlock as he wrote it down on the page with a sharpie. You continued to flip, picturing the wall of ciphers in your head. "Jade." You continued to find all the words, while Sherlock scribbled them down. When you finished, Sherlock breathed heavily, reading off the code.

"9 mill for jade pin... dragon den, black.... Tramway." He looked over at you in delight. "We solved it!" He yelled, looking over the paper again.

"Excuse me! I solved it first. That means I win!" You argued.

"We must tell John." Sherlock yelled, running off, ignoring you.

"Sherlock! You have to admit I was right!" You yelled, running after him.

Sherlock pushed open the door to the flat and took the stairs two at a time, yelling out to John on his way up. "John, John! I've got it!"

"NO, I GOT IT!" You yelled, running after Sherlock as he banged open the flat's door.

"It's the London A to Z, that they use-" Sherlock stopped abruptly and you ran into him, confused. Then you saw what he had seen. Bright yellow spray paint, sprayed all across the flat's windows. The warning cipher.

"Deadman..." You muttered, staring at it in shock. "But how did they... how did we... I don't understand." You shook your head in disbelief as Sherlock shot to the bookcase.

"Tramway." He said, pulling a map off the shelf. You snapped out of your trance to look at him.

"Sherlock, I've got an entire map of London up here in my head! Let's not waste time using a silly map!" You yelled, realizing how dire this situation really was.

You grabbed Sherlock's sleeve, pulling him from the flat.

"It's not too far from here, we can make it there on foot if we run." You told him, sprinting down the street, him following suit.

You made a quick cut into an alley, heading towards the outskirts of London.

"Can we talk about how I won this case, because I totally won." You huffed.

"Not the time!" Sherlock yelled.

"My bad. It's just that I don't have emotions." You reminded him, grabbing onto a railing as you climbed a flight of stairs.