The Reichenbach Fall: Chapter 9

"Four assassins living right on our doorstep. They didn't come here to kill me; they have to keep me alive." Sherlock stated as he climbed the flat's stairs, pulling his scarf off from around his neck and tossing it aside. He then pulled off his coat to sit down in front of his computer. You mimicked his actions as you threw your coat onto the couch, crossing your arms to look down at him as he stared at the screen. John stood by Sherlock's side, watching as he clicked around on the computer. "I've got something that all of them want, but if one of them approaches me..."

"...the others kill them before they can get it." John nodded, it made sense. But what did Sherlock have that assassins would want and why did Moriarty hire them? Their target was Sherlock... that made you feel uneasy.

"All of the attention is focussed on me. There's a surveillance web closing in on us right now." Sherlock said as he looked up from his computer, scanning the room. You stood by one of the flat's windows, gazing out of it in thought. You didn't like where this all seemed to be going. You didn't like it at all.

"So what have you got that's so important?" John asked, glancing out the window opposite from you, then turning back to Sherlock in question.

"Y/n, look at the flat." Sherlock looked to you and you turned towards him in question.

"What about it?" You looked around it, not seeing anything that should be sticking out to you. Sherlock dragged his finger across his desk glancing at it.

"The dusting." He further explained. You squinted your eyes, seeing that the place had been cleaned in a few different places, but they were all in different stages. Some spots had been cleaned more recently than others.

"I can't give you much on that, I haven't been here enough the past two months. I would try looking high first." You told him with a shrug. He looked at you, then leaned back into his chair. You could tell he knew something was off with you.

"Mrs. Hudson!" Sherlock yelled, looking towards the door. Mrs. Hudson appeared shortly after in her nightdress and dressing gown as Sherlock paced the flat, looking for dust on every possible surface.

"Precise details: in the last week, what's been cleaned?" He demanded as he walked towards the couch, looking for any dust. You leaned against the window, still looking out of it as you thought. This wasn't coming together like you hoped it would, things slowly seemed to be pointing more and more at Sherlock and less on you. You didn't like that. You couldn't help but wonder if Moriarty was going to keep his promise. Why had you trusted him in the first place? Of course he wasn't going to keep a promise, maybe his plan at first was to take you both down, but now that you'd asked to protect Sherlock, he'd take him down instead. He liked to see you in pain. He was a psychopath after all. Kidnapping children was a game to him.  You despised him. His plan was clearly focused on killing Sherlock and there was absolutely nothing you could do about it. You were already too far behind. You were absolutely terrified, more than words could say. The only thing you could do at this point was wait, and that ate you up. You felt helpless.

"Well, Tuesday I did your lino..." Mrs. Hudson started to list what she had cleaned, but Sherlock was more specific.

"No, in here, this room. This is where we'll find it – any break in the dust line. You can put back anything but dust." Sherlock told her as he demonstrated by running his finger along the mantle, then holding his fingers up in the air in a pinching motion. "Dust is eloquent."

You continued to look out the window, but turned your head to see Sherlock climbing up his bookcase, hands drifting across the shelves to feel for dust and anything that wasn't right.

"Cameras. We're being watched." Sherlock explained as he continued to look more closely at the shelf. You looked down at the street and saw a silver car pull up, you sighed, beginning to exit the flat.