The Empty Hearse: Chapter 7

Sherlock came home that night smelling of heavily burned campfire and petrol. He had soot smeared across his cheek and he sighed as he walked in, pulling off his gloves, scarf, and coat and leaving them by the door. He looked exhausted. You stood as he entered, waiting to hear what had happened.

"Some group of people kidnapped him, threw him in the middle of a bonfire. He was almost burned alive." Sherlock spoke softly as he walked over to you.

"But he's okay." You scanned Sherlock and he nodded, his curls bouncing as he did so.

"He went home with Mary." You nodded at Sherlock's words, looking over his movements. You didn't want to jump to conclusions but it appeared as if Sherlock was stressed. Who wouldn't be? Some random group of punks kidnapped John and tried to kill him. He could've died. Who knows why they did it or if it was connected to the possible terrorist attack. You couldn't be sure, but Sherlock had every right to be at least a little stressed or overwhelmed. Maybe even worried.

You knew what always helped clear Sherlock Holmes' mind when he was worried or stressed. You crossed the room, carefully picking up his violin. "Play me something?" You held the violin out to him and he looked up at you before taking it carefully from your hands. You sat on the sofa as you watched him close his eyes in concentration. When the bow collided with the violin's strings a beautiful melody began playing out. Sherlock seemed to enter an entirely different headspace as his eyebrows creased slightly, his eyes still closed. His fingers danced across the neck board, producing lovely notes.

You closed your eyes along with him, just letting it sink into your skin. It made you feel much calmer and at peace. You could tell why this helped Sherlock think. This was an entirely different world. You sighed happily as Sherlock finished off the song.

"Nocturne Number 2." You looked up at him, feeling much more at ease after listening to him play. "One of my favorites of Chopin's."

"Want to learn some?" He held his violin towards you and you looked at him with a twisted face. Sherlock trusted you to play his violin? You didn't know anything about technique when it came to playing instruments. You just knew a lot of classical music.

"Oh, I don't know about that. I don't know anything about-"

"Come on, entertain me." Sherlock held out his hand for you to take and you sighed, letting him pull you to your feet. He was lucky you liked him. He placed the violin in your hands and you frowned, turning it around as you looked at it.

"I don't even know how to hold it." You gave him an unsure look, but that just made him look that much more determined. He quickly came to your aid, adjusting the violin in your hands to show you how to hold it. He was the one doing all the work, you just let him move your arms around to show you how it was done.

"Good." He commented, taking your other hand in his as he gently placed the bow in it, rapping his fingers around yours so they enclosed around the bow correctly. "Now just gently pull it across the strings, not too much pressure." He instructed you. You looked up at him, placing the bow above the strings before you gently dragged it across the strings. It let out an evil hiss and you cringed. Sherlock chuckled at you.

"I'm not good at this." You shook your head ready to give up. You were pulling the violin from your shoulder as Sherlock quickly stopped you.

"No, you're doing great. I promise." He told you. You stuck your lips out in a pout, resting the violin back on your shoulder and looking to Sherlock for more instructions.

"Here, I'll help so you can feel how much pressure you need." Without warning, Sherlock walked around you, wrapping his right arm over yours and gently placing his hand with yours on the bow. He tucked his chin on your right shoulder so he could see the violin as he pulled the bow effortlessly over the strings.