Chapter 26

Zyren

Good goddess he is heavy! I carry Brandy across the border and just hope that we are not attacked while he is unconscious. Thinking about that subtle kiss he gave me earlier makes a blush rise to my cheeks. Stop it Zyren! He is mated and your legendary brother.  We don't make it very far when border patrol storms up to us, guns freaking blazing. They better slow their roll before I lay their asses out.

I let Brandy drop to the ground with a soft thud and prepare for a fight. Fortunately for me, Apollo, Artemis, and Lanny were on patrol today. "Zy?" Artemis has tears in her eyes when she shifts back. She looks at me in disbelief--almost as if I rose from the dead. She attacks me in a hug and sobs into my shoulder, I stand there holding my friend as if she disappear any second. Goddes I missed them all so much. It had been two weeks that we were out on our own and we were never safe. 

Opening my arms for Apollo, the three of us hugged--just happy to be reunited. "Beta Brandy?" Lanny kneels next to him and checks his weakening pulse. "You both are home!" Apollo and I watch Artemis cry more as she looked between me and Brandy. We both try not to chuckle at how dramatic she can be. 

"Oh my goddess wait until Beta Aiden and Luna Star hears you guys are back! They have been freaking the hell out." Artemis is smiling but her eyes tell a different story. Both Lanny and Apollo tense when she mentions Luna Star. 

"What are you guys not telling me?" Lanny and I lift Brandy over and shoulders and walk farther into Alpha Xavier's territory. 

"Luna Star.." Lanny starts. Apollo shoots him a glare and he shuts up. I growl lowly, they all bow their heads but shoot eachother subtle glances. 

"The baby..is um here?" Apollo finishes. He scratches his head with a half smile. "But there were some complications." 

I snarl and look at him with wide eyes. "What do you mean complications!" 

"Well the baby was born a month early so they had to induce her." Artemis says. Tears well in her red eyes but she tries to smile through it. "She was born mid-shift. She takes after her mother you know--a tiger. But when they induced her, they weren't sure if she would come out as a cub or a human so she was born human with a tail and kitty ears. That's all we know now." 

"If Brandy finds out this, it will crush him." 

I make them all promise to keep it a secret until Alpha decides our fate in the pack. Upon entering the backyard of the main pack-house, I see Aiden first who is looking around anxiously and Alpha Xavier with the rest of the pack. "Brandy!" Aiden charges towards his unconscious mate and take him into his arms. Brandy is worse off then I am, he did take on over thirty shape-shifters all by himself. Blood covers his face and body and he remained limp in my arms the entire journey back. 

"Little mate your alive!" Aiden admired his mate and I look away to avoid the pain I feel. I know he is mated but I allowed myself to believe there was something there. Of course he feels something for me, a guardian bond, but we will never be anything more. Aiden looks at me and doesn't hesistate to pull me into a hug. "Thank you for bringing him back to me. Thank you so much Zy." His face was stained with tears but he held a grateful smile. 

"Welcome back warrior. I know you are probably thinking I am going to punish you but I know you both did what you did for a reason and I will disclose that reason. I will say thank you though." Alpha shakes my hand and claps me on the back. "Everyone let's welcome back our god and his guardian!" 

The pack errupts in a round of applause. Many of them have smiles on their faces and some gave us congratulations as we passed through the pack to the hospital. If only Brandy was awake to see this. Martin and Marina were waiting for us with their nurses upon entry. Marina ushers me to a room and Martin leads Aiden to a room with Brandy. 

"We are not allowed to know what you did but thank you. We all for some reason feel safe in the woods again." She gives me a gentle shove on the bed and starts hooking me up to the machines. "Get Zyren here some food please." Marina brings a sense of calm everywhere she goes, I feel safe enough to finally get some much needed sleep. 

"I was just doing my job doc, but I am glad I can help." My words began to slur as my eyes droop. Marina smiles at me and pushed the rest of the liquid in the needle into my IV. I feel Brandy's heartbeat strengthen and become steady, ultimately lulling me to sleep. "I got you from here Zyren, take a break."

Aiden

I watched my mate sleep peacefully, his brows crinkled with worry. I can't help but to be utterly pissed with him and Zyren for doing this on their own, I am his mate, I should have been the one by his side-not Zyren. But as I look at my mate; I am more relieved to have him alive and by my side. His chubby cheeks are covered in cuts and his nose is crooked, no doubt he was hit repeatedly in the face. 

I carefully get out the chair while removing his entwined hand from mine. His hand tightens and quickly yanks me back now. This makes me smile--reluctantly, I release his hand and my heart hurts at the strained whimper he makes. Leaving my mate was the hardest thing I've ever had to do but knowing that I am only going to the next room calms my enraged wolf. 

Zyren is sound asleep so I take a seat next to him. The nurse on call smiles and leave after taking his vitals. "Thank you for saving my mate." I say to an unconscious Zyren. His steady breathing reminds me that he is alive but if I had it my way, he would be in the position my mate is in--badly bruised. "But if you ever go behind my back again I will burn you alive!" I snarl. Fire burns in my eyes and overtake my hands--charring his blankets. 

Zyren's eyes fly open and a snarl rumbles from his throat. His hands swiftly catches my hand engulfed in flames. "Are you out of your dam mind!" I grin, my canines extended at full length. I know he can see the actual flames burning in my eyes, imagine my surprise when I awake from the fight with new powers and incredible strength. Scared the shit out of me when I see fire in my eyes reflecting back at me in the mirror. 

Fire boils my blood and I feel the rage just wanting to burst out of my veins. Darkness clouds my vision but my strength is unbecoming. Before I know it, Zyren is pinned against a wall and my entire body is engulfed in flames.

"He is mine! Don't think I don't know about your petty feelings for my mate, I saw the way you looked at him when you both came back." I growl. He remains stoic and stiff against the wall when he smirks. 

"You supposedly have him on lock huh--how about the fact that he kissed me." I feel my chest rumble before a loud roar echos through the hospital. My ribs shake under the rumble and pain erupts in my abdomen. I dropped the puny pup and line up both of my hands on the side of his head. Fire shoots from my palms and straight into his skull. 

"AGHH!" Zyren's cry of pain sparks joy in my heart and makes me smile sadistically. Just as soon as that joy came, it was gone--Zyren placed a hand on my chest so swiftly, that I would not have seen if I was a normal werewolf, and blast me through the walls.

I find myself in the pack training ground withering in pain. Light floods my eyes but is suddenly covered when Zyren takes over my vision. I give him an easy smile and stand to my feet weakly. "Hey Zyren, why are you out of bed?" I say quickly. "You should be resting." 

Zyren looks pissed off, his eyes are a blazing red and he is mid-shift but he also looks confused. "You ever try that shit again and you will get more than a blast." What the hell is he talking about? What did I do?

"I'm sorry but I'm not following."

"Are you playing stupid or do you really not know?" I try not looking away from his eyes that are boiled over in rage because I am beta and the flame but the looks he was giving me would send his mother into a tantrum. Somehow I find the strength to stare boldly back at him and square my shoulders. I will not tolerate his disrespect and he better know it. 

"Call me stupid again and we will see who has the short end of the stick. I don't know what I did that you are accusing me of but you will respect me as your beta." Zyren's lip curled in a snarl but he bows his head with reluctance. 

"You are the flame now beta--your fire has risen." 

UNEDITED