Chapter 13: Adrian

(Supernova spoilers at end of chapter)

    Adrian watched as Nightmare was chained to her chair. Hugh, Simon, Tamaya, Kasumi, and Evander were facing her, their backs to Adrian and his team behind the glass.

    "Nightmare," Hugh began. "We have some simple questions for you. Please answer them honestly."

    Nightmare said nothing, just glared at them.

    "What is your real name?" asked Simon.

    Nightmare licked her lips, then lifted her head. "Nova. Nova Artino."

    Hugh stiffened. "Artino, as in Alec Artino?"

    She smirked. "The man himself."

    Kasumi grabbed Hugh's arm. "She doesn't know," she murmurs.

    "Know what?" Nova asked. "What don't I know?"

    "Yeah, what doesn't she know?" Danna muttered to Adrian.

    "I think we're about to find out," he responded lowly.

    "Nova," Hugh began.

    "Don't call me that," the girl snarled.

    "Fine. Nightmare, why did you join the Anarchists?"

    Nightmare looked at him, her eyes blank. "Like you don't know," she retorted.

    "We don't know," said Simon. "But if you told us, we would."

    Nova glared at the council. "Fine. I was six. A man with a gun came to my apartment. He threatened my parents, and then shot them. My mom and my dad. I ran. I hid in my closet. But I had forgotten my little sister, Evie. She was asleep. She wasn't even a year old. And you know what that man did? He shot her too."

    Adrian flinched.

    "My father told me that you would come. That you promised you would come. But you didn't. I sat in my closet, waiting for the renegades, and you didn't come. I put him to sleep, and then tried to convince myself to kill him. I couldn't do it. And still you didn't come. But guess who did come? Uncle Ace did. And then you killed him too."

    Nightmare's eyes were wet with tears. Adrian felt sympathetic for her, though he tried to suppress it.

    "You're all liars," she hissed. "You did this to me. It's your fault that I'm where I am right now."

    Hugh took a deep breath. "Nova, there's something you need to know. About that night."

    She laughed. "I already know everything about that night, Captain."

    "No, you don't. We didn't kill your family, Nova. Ace did."

(okay WHAT THANK YOU FOR 100 READS THIS HAS ONLY HEEN OUT FOR A WEEK?? this means so much to be so thank you a lot <3)