Chapter 22: Caroline

After the fire, the council decided the next morning that they were going to find Wildflower and Inferno and arrest them. They were causing too much trouble, hurting too many people.

    Captain Chromium had decided that the council and Caroline's team would be selected to deal with this mission. The plan was for them to split into teams of three, and search every inch of the city. Caroline had been paired with Andrew and Nova. With Nova's knowledge of villains, having been one, she felt confident that they would succeed.

    They left early in the morning. Andrew drove the car through the streets, stopping periodically to search abandoned houses and apartments, office buildings and warehouses. After three hours, they had made no progress.

    Until they found one last warehouse. It was on the very edge of the city. There were no signs of human or animal life. Except for the lines that had grown along the bricks. The door was closed.

    Caroline exchanged a glance with her friends. This had to be it. Andrew parked the car. They all got out and crept up to the door, placing their ears against it, trying to listen for voices.

    "Lily, why? After everything we've accomplished?"

    Caroline's eyes widened at the sound of Inferno's voice, she looked to Andrew, mouthing it's them. He nodded. Nova tapped on her wristband, probably constructing a message to send to the rest of the group.

    "I don't want to leave, Rosie. But they're too strong. We're going to lose. Good always wins, that's what always happens."

    Wildflower sounded bitter, defeated, and sad. Caroline realized that, despite all the chaos and death these two girls had caused they were still just that. Girls. They were sad, confused, angry, they felt betrayed. They knew there would be no justice for them if they were caught. And so they were running away. Caroline pitied them. That was all she could do, because she couldn't help them.

    "Let's go in and distract them. Tire them out, so when everyone else arrives it's easier," Nova murmured.

    Caroline and Andrew nodded. She opened the door.

    Inside, the two sisters were facing each other, seemingly in the middle of an argument. They froze when they heard the door open.

    "So," said Nova, a smile across her lips. "We can do this the easy way, or the hard way. You can surrender now, or we can fight. We may barely outnumber you now, but in a couple minutes, nine more Renegades will be here, and then you'll be in real trouble."