Chapter 7: Adrian

When he ran into the living room, Adrian was met with a disturbing sight. Ruby had her arms around Jackson, crying. Nova was on the floor, unconscious, the side of her head matted with blood.

What the hell happened here? He wondered.

Oscar knelt down next to his wife. "Rubes, what's wrong? Did you get hurt?"
Ruby was sobbing hard, tears streaking down her cheeks. "They took her. They took Blake!"

Adrian gasped. "No," he whispered, horrified. She was only two weeks old.

Oscar put his forehead against Ruby's. "We'll find her. I promise. I promise."

While Oscar consoled his wife, Adrian and Danna turned their attention towards Nova. She was twitching violently, like she was having a bad dream.

Adrian sat down and moved her head into his lap. "Get some bandages," he told Danna.

She gave a nod and walked away.

He looked down at Nova. She was muttering under her breath, something he couldn't quite understand. She suddenly shot up, breathing hard. She looked around wildly.

"Where are they? Where did they go?" she asked.

"Who?" Adrian asked. 'They' must be the same person who took Blake.

Nova turned around. "I-I don't know," she said. "But they knew me. They threatened to kill me. And I think I knew them too."

He held up a hand. "Slow down, Nova. Lets get your head bandaged, and then you can tell us exactly what happened.

She put a hand on her head and winced. "I got knocked out, didn't I," she muttered, looking at the blood on her fingers.

"Yeah." Silence. His eyes met hers. They were blue. A nice, dark blue. No. Stop it. "What were you dreaming about?"

Nova flinched. "The day I was arrested. When I found out about... everything."

Of course. Nova Artino would not have just any normal nightmares. She would have nightmares of all the traumatic events of her life. And she had a lot.

"Oh."

Before he could stop, his hand reached out and took hers, squeezing it gently.

Shit. He let go quickly and avoided eye contact.

"Oh good, she's awake," said Danna, coming back into the room, holding a roll of bandages. Sitting down next to Nova, she unrolled some and said, "Stay still."

Carefully, Danna wrapped the gauze around her head. "We'll clean it back at home."

Nova nodded, her eyes still on Adrian, suspicious.

"Okay. Thank you."

The three of them stood up. He turned towards Ruby and Oscar. "What are you going to do?" he asked.

"We called Headquarters. They're sending a team up to investigate. We have questioning tomorrow morning at seven, so be there. For now, we're going to go to Oscar's mom's apartment," said Ruby. She turned towards Nova. "No thanks to you."

(short chapter, but im experiencing writer's block so that's fun. but, THANK YOU FOR 2K READS! i literally never thought this would happen. i thought i would get a couple reads and that would be it, and it still blows my mind that people actually read this and enjoy it. so tysm to everyone, especially those who comment and vote. ily all <3)