Chapter 14: Caroline

Two weeks had passed since Caroline and her team had failed. Inferno and Wildflower were gone, and no one could find them. Most people thought that they had left the city. Her and her team, however, disagreed.

Caroline was on a walk, strolling through the streets of Gatlon City. She was lost in thought, trying to come up with places where the two villains could be hiding. Nothing came to mind.

The tunnels and the apartment where they had been living were being monitored twenty-four-seven. The Cloven Cross Library burned down last year. There was nowhere else she could think to check. Unless they walked straight into Renegades Headquarters, the chance of them being found and arrested was very slim.

Caroline slammed into someone.

"Watch it!" the person snapped.

She looked down at them. Her eyes widened. Liliana Scott was glaring at her. She blanched.

Wildflower scrambled to her feet and took off, running down the sidewalk and shoving civilians out of her way. Caroline started to chase after her, cursing as she remembered she was wearing her hightops, not the boots that went with her uniform.

She was a fast runner, and soon Liliana was in sight again. The girl turned a sharp right, and Caroline almost fell trying to follow. She followed her down a couple more streets, until she realized that she had led her to a completely empty street.

Caroline couldn't hear anything. Not the buzz of traffic, not the chatter of people, not even birds chirping in the trees. She sent a quick message to Andrew, telling him to bring backup. She sent him her location as well.

She looked around. Liliana was gone.

"Wildflower!" she called. "Come on out!"

She shrieked as vines grabbed her arms and yanked her against the wall. Wildflower appeared, from across the street and strode over to Caroline.

Holding a dagger to Caroline's throat, she hissed, "finally. I've been waiting for this moment." She smiled cruelly.

"Why are you doing this?" asked Caroline.

Liliana pressed the dagger harder against her neck. "You know why. Leroy told you, didn't he." She scowled. "That traitor."

"Look, I don't know which Renegade ignored you, but we aren't all like this," Caroline insisted.

"Maybe not, but revenge is so much sweeter if you bring down everyone on your way."

"Even if it destroys you?"

"The world is cruel, I'd be better without it."

Liliana stepped away. "Once you're dead, your uncles will be devastated. Then, my sister and I will tear up the roots of your pathetic organization."

She lifted her hand up, and Caroline felt vines crawl up her body, wrapping her up tight. She started to squirm, trying to get herself out. It was no use. The vines reached her neck, and she gasped as they began to choke her.

Wildflower had a small smile across her face as she watched. "Good bye, Caroline Westwood," she whispered. She closed her fist, and the grip tightened.

Caroline's eyelids fluttered. This is it, she thought. I'm going to die, and she'll be gone before my friends find us. Just as she was about to black out, all the air sucked from her lungs, the vines loosened. She felt them slink from her body and disappear into the ground.

She collapsed to the ground, coughing, massaging her throat. She felt too weak to stand. Looking up, she saw Liliana unconscious on the ground. Andrew stood in front of her limp body, breathing hard.

Nova ran over to Caroline and kneeled next to her. "Are you okay? She didn't hurt you, did she?"

Caroline shook her head. "N-no. Thanks."

She helped her up. "No problem."

Narissa was with them as well, and she helped Nova support Caroline as they walked to the car. Andrew handcuffed Wildflower, then carried her limp body and put her in the back seat.

"If she wakes up, she'll kill us," said Caroline, her voice scratchy.

"She won't be waking up anytime soon," Andrew growled.

"He punched her pretty hard," Nova said grimly.

"What happened, Carrie?" asked Narcissa.

Caroline shook her head. "I'll explain later."

She lay her head on Nova's shoulder, and let herself fall asleep.

(i only have 7 days left of school and i am so done. my brain is fried. i have 2 projects due by next week. wish me luck.)