Chapter 12: Nova

The next week went by slowly. She got adjusted to sleeping (or not sleeping) on the couch, eating actual food (which her stomach didn't like for the first few days) and actually interacting with people. Adrian and Danna weren't horrible people. They were actually good. As much as they had disliked it, the two of them had welcomed Nova into their home and tried to make her welcome.

Everyday, one of them would go to work while the other stayed to stay with Nova.

"Just so you don't get lonely," Danna told her on the first day.

However, Nova wasn't stupid. She knew it was to make sure she didn't do anything they classified as 'bad.'

Danna liked to show her their gaming console, and they played lots of video games. Adrian was more into board games and crafts. She seemed to be growing on the two renegades, but she could still sense some distrust and suspicion.

A week after she was released from Craggmore was her first day working at Renegades HQ. She followed behind Adrian and Danna. They were speaking in low voices, discussing what she guessed was the search for the Silva-Tucker baby.

Inside, she spotted Tsunami, talking with the man from the week before. He had been at the meeting. What was his name? She couldn't remember.

Andrian and Danna headed towards the councilwoman, Nova following close behind. Tsunami smiled when she saw their little group.

"Danna, Adrian. Oscar and then other teams are waiting in conference room 5B. Good luck with your search."

And then they were gone. Adrian turned back before the two entered the elevator. He made eye contact with Nova, and he could see concern in his eyes. She nodded to reassure him that she would be fine. His shoulders relaxed. But then, his eyes hardened and he followed Danna. They were still making eye contact when the door closed.

"Ms. Artino," said Tsunami. Nova diverted her attention from where Adrian had been standing moments before. "This is Callum Treadwell. You might remember him from before."

Callum stuck his hand out. "Nice to meet you, Ms. Artino."

Nova stared at his outstretched hand. It was a few seconds before she remembered she was supposed to shake his hand. She grasped his hand, and they shook. He had a nice, firm handshake.

"Callum will be overseeing the first half of your community service. He works in the vault, where we store all of our weapons, and things similar. He'll be your boss from here on out. I'll let you two get to work," explained Tsunami.

She walked away, leaving Nova and Callum standing in awkward silence.

"So, Ms. Artino," he said, clapping his hands together. "I'll show you to the vault, where we'll start your training."

He led her to the elevator where Adrian and Danna had disappeared earlier. They stood in awkward silence as the elevator rose. Or, awkward for Nova. Callum had a serene smile across his face.

"How are you adjusting?" he asked.

"Uhh... fine, I guess," she answered.

"That's good. You know, I think you'll really enjoy your new life."

Nova nodded, her gaze flitting around the enclosed space. She hated small spaces. It reminded her too much of her old cell on Cragmoor. She focused on taking deep breaths.

The old Nova never would have been bothered by an elevator. She would have been preparing for her mission, or getting into a fighting stance, or keeping a cover. Or, not taking the elevator at all.

But the old Nova was gone. That girl had died the moment Captain Chromium told her the truth.

She was startled when the elevator stopped. The door opened, and Callum stepped out, Nova following.

The fourteenth floor of the Renegades Headquarters was unimpressive, with two old wooden desks, each littered with objects, useful and random alike. One of the desks was empty. A small plaque had Callum's name on it.

The second desk was occupied. A woman a few years younger than Nova sat with her back hunched, her eyes glued to the computer.

She looked up when Callum and Nova entered. She scowled.

Nova stopped and stared. It was like looking in the mirror.

They had the same hair color, except different lengths. Their eyes were the same, the skin tones too.

"Nova, I want you to meet my partner in crime, Maggie White. Or, Magpie. Maggie, meet our new friend, former criminal, Nova Artino."

(hey! I'm back (for now). School is out finally and  I hopefully will have more time to write! Expect updates every 1-2 weeks, but of course that's not guaranteed. Anyway, let me know your thoughts and theories!)