Chapter 1:Mahogany box

'You need to smile more' 

 'Wearing pants isn't ladylike'                               

'You have no reason to be distant'

'stop being so quiet'

'you're so emotionless'       'act normal'

'You have to be more trusting'

'why are you so cruel'

.

.

.

     People, strangers and acquaintances alike have always had something to say about me, a new flaw they insist on revealing, a mistake they feel needs to be known to the world. And each time that they chime in with their own little opinion, they top it off with one word, a saying that I've become accustomed to, and yet;- still hurt by every time.

"Coldhearted."

     It feels like a wooden stake is plunged deep into me when I hear that word- it sticks with me everywhere I go and I hate it. Still, what gives me the right to complain? That's the key to describe me. I really am coldhearted, emotionally frozen, and one without sympathy. Some can rightfully say- the adjective fits the title I've been carrying for the last year now;

     The Hashira, (Y,n) (l,n), the Ice Pillar.

     Yes, I work alongside the Slayers at the very top of the skill rankings, but don't be mislead. I'm not all buddy-buddy with them. Ever since day one, I've made it clear I don't intend on becoming friends with them for... unmentionable reasons..., and they all respect my boundaries, for the most part. All of them- but one. Kyojuro Rengoku, the Flame Pillar.

    Saying I don't like him could be a compliment; I absolutely loathe the guy! I can't get him off my back, sometimes, it's like he's around every corner I turn, trying yet again to break my reserve. Trust me, he likes to try a lot. No matter how many times I've given him the cold shoulder, he always returns with that stupid bright smile of his.

     Why is he so keen on getting to know me even though I knowingly resent him? I have no clue.

     Describing Kyojuro to the best of my efforts, I can say he's everything I'm not. Skilled, almost always happy, liked by practically everyone, ... and kind hearted. Now, it's not like I'm jealous of him, oh heaven's no. I'm just aware that we're two completely different people. There is a saying that opposites attract, but if I'm being honest, I'd rather not attract the attention of anyone-

     "-Please, leave my sister alone!!! She's never killed a human before!" Snapped like a twig, there goes my only other distraction. Here I am, met with failure again.

    I irked my eyebrow out of annoyance as the voice of a pleading boy suddenly ripped me away from my trance, whipping me back into reality. The Kamado brother paid no attention to my bitterness, still bickering with Sanemi and the others who're against him in this ordeal. He would've frozen if he'd seen my sustain towards...

     This mess.

     If only they'd calm down for a moment... we'd probably get somewhere with all this, otherwise.