Chapter 69:Train

~*Muro's POV*~
    Give me a glass of liquor and I can't taste a thing. It's not quite the temperance of water, but that of a potent oil, making me shudder against its seduction. It dims the cough hanging at my throat, but there's no point of hiding it anymore.

     Even the bartender excused himself when I walked in, as if he suddenly had something more important to do than tend to his business, leaving me to pour my own sorrows away. He must've thought to follow the crowd, chose to not stick around and... find out. I'd call myself a walking death-omen if I didn't have the real reason pressed against my shoulder.

     I stared into the glassy surface of the sake while setting it down on the counter, not turning away from its reflection as a white blur sank into the motions of its ripples. "Kiri... I see you came to pop your head in?"

     "I'm just ensuring my children aren't giving you too much trouble." I relegated the silence a moment longer, sat here together as he materialized from the nearly invisible cloud above me. I rested my glass while he waved away the last of the fog, smiling at the faceless demon. He's been getting better at concealing himself.

     "You and I both know the twins are a handful. They may look and talk like adults, but you're still babysitting." The cloud father commented, looking around at the empty bar we're in, only now noticing the empty part. Normal humans don't usually give any mind to demon presences, but it seems he made enough of an impression on them. His aura has changed ever since we first met, he feels like a completely different person. Ink has stained the cloudy skies... red ink.

     "Yeah, one hit from them at full force and I'd be done for. You really toughened them up..." I reflexively cringed when taking down the rest of the alcohol, resisting the impulse to look into those stormy clouds. I can feel his intense gaze on me through the turbulence, an unblinking stare. I wonder sometimes what color they are... green, blue... or a hue the human eye could never come to comprehend.

     "I'm getting weaker, there was a time when I could still take you head on-- was..." I whispered while circling the rim of the glass, watching him through the reflection as he adjusted himself. No matter what color his eyes are, they can still see right through me.

     "You're dying."

     "I am!" I laughed, feeling my weak heart jump at that statement. It gets me every time I think about it, even when I've known of my impending doom for the past year. All the demons can smell it, the rot in my blood, that sickly decay that's been steadily crawling into my lungs. The medicines from Shinobu's cupboard worked for some time, but it feels now that not even that was worth the trouble. They stopped functioning... maybe my condition has finally capsized- or both. What is apparent is that I can't stall forever.

     "What are we going to do about your condition? You've only got so long before..." He tried to address the elephant in the room, muffled by its leathery skin. I've tried to ignore its pushing at my body, compressing my lungs. This cough gets worse every day...

     "We'll figure that out in time, you are the genius who helped create the newest generation of demons!" I nudged his shoulder while reaching into my haori, pulling out the creased file of papers inside. A little unkempt, but it's better than being soiled with blood

     "In the meantime, we focus on our next move. We'll worry about me when we cross that bridge." I handed them off to Kiri, smirking as he returned his gaze to me with a nod. He's smiling behind that storm.

     "Exactly what was asked of you."

     "I had to cut some corners, but yes, I did it." I cheekily confirmed, taking the bottle I've been nursing into glasses and downing several swigs. I audibly squirmed afterwards, but I don't regret it. I may not have the capability to taste this (awful) stuff, but I still need the buzz. It takes crazy to stick with crazy for so long, and the twins are more than just that.