Chapter 15:Axe

~*(y,n)'s POV*~
My hand lingered weakly on the handle of the front door while my fox mask slipped from my grip, gazing at me with its face, gazing upon the mess that I am. I whimpered and fell to my knees- cradling my head and my hands doesn't do enough this time, tears still manage to come and go, a few dropping onto the painted accessory below me.

"God... fucking dammit..." I seethed through my teeth. I can't handle this, I'm never able to when things like this happen. Hell, it's worse this time. I didn't manage to walk home with just a bleeding wound I could patch up and clean after some calming down, I crawled. And here, all the pools of blood puddle at my feet, staining my body and clothes the more I think about it.

Everything's coming back to me... the memories I try to erase always return when I hear that blasted word. Coldhearted. The hateful looks... insecurities... the spikes in my anxiety- Christ... I even forced myself to say the word,' prove a point that didn't have to be made at all.

Yeah, it was definitely a petty move on the villager's part... that's not getting the most attention of my reaction, however. N-never in my life... did I think the goddamn Flame Pillar would have this type of affect on me.

"(y,n), I don't think you're coldhearted!!"

His words echo just like they have been ever since he first said that, each instance feeling more like torture than the last. I can't cover my ears and hope for his voice to disappear... that statement from him is stuck there for good.

I don't know who the hell he thinks he is, saying something like that- he didn't even look like he thought about what he'd uttered before it was too late to take it back... if he even wanted to withdraw it. He's experienced the way I treat people, multiple firsthand accounts, so how can he still say such a selfless thing?! This guy... he's on a whole different level...

I picked my mask up from the floor and shuffled to the door of my room, still holding my face in my hand. I have to put this behind me for now- the best I can-; I have a more pressing matters to deal with, a measly thing like my mental health will have to wait. Today was supposed to be the start of my two-day break from demon slaying, cut short because of the emergency that's suddenly popped up. I don't know what it is, but I'll be sure to find out soon enough.

-It's too bad this issue arose on this day specifically. I'll have to make a detour as soon as I leave the house.

As I quickly got on my demon slaying uniform, preparing myself and the usual stuff that I have to cover, my eyes landed on a ornate little box sitting on a counter close to me. 470,000 yen. That's how much is inside, last time I checked. It's just the place where I keep all most of my extra savings, my wallet's too small to fit everything inside.

Unlocking it with a key connected to a string from my pocket, I opened it up and dulled out at least 200,000 yen, placing the change gently on the counter. This portion won't last me as much as my expenses normally do, but with a few skipped meals and requests for extra side jobs at the district I live near, I'll last to next month.

I took the remaining 270,000 yen and placed it into my wallet the best it'd fit, returning my share of the split back into the box. I grabbed my sword and haori afterwards, making haste to the front door as I equipped them. I'd rather not leave my home so soon, given the chance that I could collect myself better after what happened back at Mr.Nataduma's store, but I know there's no point in wasting time.

The sunlight flashed against my eyes as I pushed the door open, saying hi to me for the second time today. I...was robbed of my ability to see almost instantly, not because of the natural light in the sky... but the second star of the day, walking around happily. Kyojuro, His sight, in just the right direction for him to possibly see me in the corner of his eye. Oh, how I hope he doesn't. It could be any of the other Hashira right now, ANY of them, I could bare through the annoyance, but not him!