Chapter 65:He bore witness.

"Yes ma'am... I couldn't do anything else to help. By time I came back from getting everyone else to safety... s-she was already gone. She said she could handle the rest of the hive, but... there were more than we estimated."

'Ŧ€ŇǤ€Ň, Ǥ¥ØΜ€Ɨ, ƗǤỮŘØ, ŞΔŇ€ΜƗ, ΔŇĐ ǤƗ¥ỮỮ. ŦĦ€¥ Ŵ€Ř€ ŦĦ€ ŴƗŦŇ€ŞŞ€Ş, ŦĦΔŦ ĐΔ¥. ΔŞ ₣ØŘ ĦƗΜ... Ħ€ ŴΔŞ ƤŁΔ¥ƗŇǤ ŦĦ€Μ ΔŁŁ β¥ ŦĦ€ ŦỮŇ€ Ø₣ ĦƗŞ ₣ƗĐĐŁ€.'

     Taiso pinched his nose over the bandaging on his face and lifted his head, trying to hold back his frown while recalling his testimony. "I believe she may have finished off the last of them before dying, but I wouldn't know... I couldn't find her body afterwards." The blonde woman sitting by Master Ubuyashiki placed her face into her hands after listening to the teen practically lie through his teeth, holding back her urge to break down into tears. She raised (y,n) for several years as if she were her own, and now she's... dead. All because of her, as well.

    Oblivious to the truth.

     "I..." The Ice Hashira lamented to herself as Gyomei rubbed her shoulder, trying to keep her cool guise that she's always been known for. ... She feels as if she sent them off to die. "I don't know why I thought you would be enough... I should've gotten one of the other Hashira to monitor the mission." Yes, exactly that. If the circumstances were just a little different... if there was a witness-... well, that doesn't matter.

      "You said it yourself that this was to decide who would take your place, Kazoku. This is business, unfortunately. Our presence there would've made it too easy on them.
" The Snake Pillar said to her while scratching Kaburamaru's chin. The reality; it was bound to happen, that only one Tsugoku would come back. They were meant to compete against each other the entire time, this was the final trial.

       "She undeniably showed what it took to become one of us, it's a shame this choice has to be so straightforward." Giyuu said to the rest of his comrades, sparing the injured warrior a glance of sympathy. It was never simple comparing the pair, they were just that good, the best Tsugoku work pumped out by the Hashira in years. All the current candidates could say the same... except for one, sitting there with his hands resting over his mouth. The loudest of them all... so silent, so troubled.

     "How're you holding up after the battle? You got patched up, but I know it's not easy losing your best friend." Sanemi said while glimpsing at the cold statue that Tengen has made himself, sparing him more than just a few glances while the younger Slayer spoke.

     "It's uhm... it's still sinking in. I need some time to process everything." Murogasai tried to wean away from that question with a pain in his chest, shaking his head in disapproval. Can't think about it? No, he doesn't want to, he doesn't want anything to do with the thought. If he lingers, it'll break him- not the actions, but the possible consequences.

'Ħ€ ŴΔŞ ǤØƗŇǤ ŦØ ΜΔҜ€
€V€Ř¥ØŇ€ β€ŁƗ€V€
ƗŦ ĦΔƤƤ€Ň€Đ, ΔŇĐ ƗŦ ŴØỮŁĐ'V€ ŴØŘҜ€Đ.'

     "Everything alright, Tengen? You're never this quiet, it's scary." Sanemi nudged his friend in the side with the whisper. The Silver-headed man turned his head down at his comrade, but his eyes still fixate off into the distance, eyebrows quirked. There's something he's looking for, as if he can see right through the walls of the facility.

     "There's something going on nearby... I'll check it out later." The former Shinobi tried to wave off his reserved demeanor and rejoin the conversation, not quite getting there when his ears won't relax themselves. He can hear disaster about to hit. ᵀʰᵉ ˢʰᵘᶠᶠˡᵉˢ, ᵗʰᵉ ˢᵒᵇˢ, ᵗʰᵉʸ ᵈʳᵃʷ ᶜˡᵒˢᵉʳ ᵗᵒ ᵗʰᵉ ᵇᵘᶦˡᵈᶦⁿᵍ-