5 - Arrival

Blood red skies, I feel so cold. No innocence, we play our roll. The wheel embodies all, where are we going? - Paradise (What About Us?) - Within Temptation (ft. Tarja)

Davyna's POV

It's just after midnight when I hear Dad. "We're here." he says as we pull behind our moving truck that's in front of a huge gate. I try to look past the gate to see the compound, but I can't see much. What I do see is 3 armed guards making their way to our moving truck. I see the driver hand out paperwork to one of the guards, check it over and then hand it back. They all then make their way to my Dad and myself as we sit in our car. I clench my hands into fists and grit my teeth as I realize these guards are more then likely vampires. "Roll down your window, Davyna so they can see you." Dad advises as he starts to roll his down. I follow his instructions, unclench my hands, and push down my disgust and anger as 2 guards come around to my side.

I look over to Dad who is engaging with the first guard. "Hello, my name is Matthias Blackmoon. I am the new appointed human relations advisor for the council." He pauses and looks at me. "This is my daughter Davyna Blackmoon." I look back at the 2 guards at my window and feign a smile. Dad continues, "The vehicle ahead of us has our belongings as myself and my daughter are moving into the compound. We should be expected."

The guard at my father's window pauses for a moment, then replies. "Yes, we were informed of your arrival by the council. Once the gate opens, please pull your vehicles inside and to the right for a quick inspection." I take a quick glance at my dad who looks back at me with reassuring eyes. "We will, thank you."

The guard signals to whom I'm assuming is someone watching a camera feed and after a couple seconds, the gate starts to open. The moving truck pulls forward and we follow behind, pulling over to the right and cutting the engine. "This will be quick Davyna, let's get out and let them do their search." I nod and open my car door and slide out. I close the door with a soft click and finally get a chance to look around.

MY. GOD.

The compound itself is MASSIVE. I mean, obviously it has to be, considering how many supernaturals live here. I realize my mouth is agape, and quickly slam it shut. I take a chance to look at the front area of the compound. There's the area that we're in now, almost like a main entrance inspection station, but then that merges into a vast open area full of decorative fountains, pools, flowers and other greenery that decorate the drive up to the main entrance. It looks beautiful even in the dark, I wonder what it looks like in the daytime. I can hardly see that entrance, as it seems like it's a journey to get there. There's giant buildings that surround the main one in front of us. In all honesty, this place looks like a university or something.

My gawking is interrupted by my dad placing his hand on my shoulder. I jump. "Sorry Davyna. All is good to go." I nod and get back into the car and watch as that huge entrance door gets closer and closer as we drive up to it. As we pull up, I notice someone standing outside, seeming as if waiting for something. Turns out it's us.

As my Dad and I get out of our car, we're greeted by the man waiting. "Matthias and Davyna?" I nod, and Dad replies. "Yes."

"I am Kraven. I will oversee your move into the council compound and then will be your personal assistant for any and all needs. Happy to meet you both. First of all take these." He outstretches his hand. In it are two pass like cards. I take one and Dad takes the other. "Those will get you around the compound until your internal ones are installed in your wrists." I swallow loudly. Did Dad know of this? Surgically installed passes...dear god. Hating this already.

"If you'll please follow me." I hear Kraven say and I follow behind Dad. My nerves are running rampant as we follow Kraven through most of the compound as he shows us the main things we need to know before our official tour tomorrow. He shows us the kitchens, the main council meeting areas, and then finally he comes to a large door that leads into another building. "This is the residence building. Everyone who lives at the compound resides here. There are 10 floors. The council and their families reside on the top 3 floors when not on their own lands, important diplomats and guests of honour reside below, then visitor chambers, and finally staff who care for the compound." He turns to my father. "You Matthias, have full access to all the floors and buildings of this compound being a council member." He then turns to me. "Davyna, you have access to only your floor and council members families, staff and visitor floors if you have a registered visitor."

"Each of you has your own suite. It's the same with all council members families. Matthias, yours will be on the top floor with the rest of the council, and Davyna's will be a floor below alongside council member's adult children."

My father looks to Kraven. "Davyna is wanting to work while she stays here. Is that permitted?" Kraven looks to me. "Yes, she can choose from a large list of jobs and professions within the compound as well as out in the main city. I will compile the list for you and have it delivered to your room, Davyna."

"Thank you, Kraven." I reply and watch as he turns and touches his wrist to the pad by the door and it opens. I shudder. We walk inside the building and follow Kraven to the huge elevator in the main foyer. As we get in, Kraven turns to face us. "Your belongings have been taken up to your suites. Please take the time you need to unpack and get settled, and then I will take your both on a more detailed tour of all the facilities the compound has to offer tomorrow." He presses the button to the 9th floor. My floor. As we ride the elevator, my dad grabs my hand and gives it a reassuring squeeze.

DING.

I follow Kraven as the doors open, and he leads me to the 6th door down the main hall. "This is your suite Davyna. I hope you have a pleasant evening, and I will see you tomorrow."

"Thank you." I turn to Dad and give him a hug. "See you tomorrow sweetheart, love you." "Love you too Dad." I turn and face my door and place my card on the pad outside my door and I hear the lock disengage. I turn the handle and walk in, the door gently closing behind me.

I take a look around and decide to explore my suite later. I find the bed and launch myself onto it, and fall asleep almost immediately, my mind drifting into what I hope is a peaceful slumber.