59 - Judgement

Back against the wall so
It's kill or be killed
No other choice then blood's gonna spill
Back against the wall so
Forget or forgive
But after all this I never will. - Kill or Be Killed - New Years Day

Caleb's POV

I try to keep my composure as I watch Davyna being led away from Vincent and I to the dungeons. I feel Kaius' blinding rage, and I can't blame him. We just found her. This can't be how this ends for her. For us.

My attention is brought back to the council as they address Vincent and I once more. "You both are forbidden to see her." I growl deeply. "You can't do that. She's our mate, you know what you're subjecting us to if we can't see her."

"That is your punishment for withholding this from us. Now leave."

I go to speak again, but Vincent and I are escorted out of the room without another glance. I clench my fists as we walk away, and Vincent comes up beside me.

"We will prove her innocence. Let's go talk to Sage and Marcella, and also get ahold of Declan. Maybe her kin at the village can help us."

"She shouldn't be down there, Vincent. Who knows how she will be treated."

"I know. I'm worried for her too, but she's strong. We have to do what we can, and hopefully she will endure."

"I hope so." I sigh as we make our way to our suite.

- - -

Vincent's POV

Caleb and I walk into our suite and we see Marcella, Sage and Declan. Well at least we won't have to get ahold of him. I thought for sure after we were arrested that he would have made himself scarce.

"What happened? Where's Davyna?" Sage questions and I can't bring myself to look her in the eye.

"Vincent....Caleb...." Marcella's worried voice isn't making this easier.

"She was charged with treason. She's in the dungeons, waiting for her death sentence."

"Are you fucking serious? Over what?" Sage growls.

"The fact she hid her hybrid state. Asher is the one who revealed it to the council."

"I am going to rip his throat out." Marcella states angrily. "That fucker!"

"We need to get proof Asher has been after her and is only doing this for his own gain. We need something, anything. We aren't allowed to see her, so this is going to be harder on Caleb and I, as well as Davyna."

"Sage and I can see her right? We will go and make sure she is okay and report back." Marcella says as she comes up to embrace me and Caleb. She grasps both of our hands and squeezes reassuringly. "We will get her out."

I nod at her and raise my gaze to Declan. "Is there anyway that the elders in the village can vouch for her? The council seems to be hell bent on the fact that she isn't loyal and that she is different and unpredictable."

"I can reach out. See if the elders would write a document revealing her training and status. I'm not sure how much it would help, but it's worth a try. My sister doesn't belong in a dungeon. She belongs here with you both, and we need to deal with the issue of Elijah as well."

"We will once we get her out. Let's get to work." Caleb states and the affirmed gazes I see around the room gives me hope that we can do this.

Davyna can't be put to death.

- - -

Davyna's POV

(Some time later...)