27 - The Need for Distraction

And I know my church is not of silver and gold
Its glory lies beyond judgment of souls
The commandments are of consolation and warmth
You know our sacred dream won't fail
The sanctuary tender and so frail
The sacrament of love
The sacrament of warmth is true
The sacrament is you. - The Sacrament - HIM

Vincent's POV

I look at my mate, now completely silent as her red eyes start to fade. I look over at Caleb who seems to be just as shocked as Davyna is. She goes to back off of my lap and I stop her. "Don't, love." I pull her into me and hold her tightly. I feel warm tears on my shoulder, but she stays quiet.

"I'm sure there is an explanation. We already knew this was going to be a challenge. It's just another thing we have to figure out." I try to reassure her, but I honestly have no idea if I'm going to be successful. She pulls away and looks at me, and I can see only small flecks of red left in her eyes. I pull her back in and kiss her softly. "What am I?" She asks quietly as we break the kiss.

"We will figure it out, love. Just let us." She nods and I wipe the remaining tears from her face.

"I hate that we have to leave you after this.... whatever we want to call it." Caleb states. She shakes her head. "No, it's okay. I'm just...processing. You guys have to do your duties. I'll be okay, I promise." She climbs off of me, and heads over to her closet and pulls out some clothes and then lays them on her bed. I get up as well, and put my shirt back on as Caleb grabs the food trays and places them on her dresser.

"You guys have to pack and get ready to leave soon don't you?" Davyna says. "We still have some time if there's anything you wanted to do before we go."

"Sage, Marcella and I were going to go shopping later this week before Sage goes home, but maybe we can go now? I need a bit of a distraction." Caleb gets up off her bed. "I'll call her and see. It would be nice to get out of the compound for a little bit before we throw ourselves into work for the council."

"I think it's a great idea, Davyna. Keep me posted, I'm going to go get cleaned up." I say as I walk up to Davyna and interrupt her folding something. She looks at me. "Try not to worry too much. We don't know everything just yet."

"Okay, I'll try." She replies and I kiss her forehead lightly before heading out.

 - - - 

Davyna's POV

Both Caleb and Vincent are gone now, and I just got out of the shower. I've been in a daze ever since this morning. I'm shaken to the core. I tried to hide it, but I know Vincent picked up on it. He's too skilled at that for his own good. There's so much more to this then I thought, and honestly I have a gut feeling that it's only the beginning.

I sit down on my bed, reeling in my thoughts and I decide to lay back and stare at the ceiling. Why on earth would I have red eyes? Maybe it's just an effect of the mate bond with Vincent? I'm sure he would have told me if that could of been what happened, but again this whole human bonded to two supernatural males of the opposite species isn't really the "norm" around here. It makes me already so worried for when this does come out and everyone knows that I'm their mate.

Fuck, I've got to get my head on straight. I finally understand why Dad says I need to chill out sometimes. I get so in my head that I either just get angry or I shut down. I can't afford to do that. Not now. As much as I want to shut myself off and put all my walls back up and just forget this ever happened, I can't. I can't do that to Vincent or to Caleb.

They're a part of my life now, which means I have to deal with my emotions and insecurities head on. So much for just being quiet, getting through living here while I search for information on mom's death. I sigh and get off my bed, discarding my towel to the floor. I put on my underwear, bra and then a pair of black leggings, and a grey tank top. Black, grey and dull. Perfect.