49 - Declan

Yeah, it keeps on calling for me
Yeah, I'm gonna lie right from the start
Yeah, it keeps on calling for me
It keeps calling from the dark

It crawls over me
I can't move
I can't breathe
It whispers my name
My soul clutched in two hands. - The Calling - Maria Brink and Chris Howorth

Davyna's POV

I stand there, in complete shock of what this person just said.

I have a brother? He is my brother? I can see some resemblance, the black hair, the grey eyes. My heart pounds as I stare at this strange but familiar presence. I feel Caleb and Vincent's emotions through our bonds. They are just as shocked as me. Vincent speaks first. "You're her brother?" He asks, the confusion in his tone clear.

The man nods. "Yes. I am Davyna's older brother. My name is Declan." Upon hearing his name, my head hurts again. I rub my temples. Caleb wraps his arm around me protectively. "You okay, baby?" I nod.

"Just lingering pain, I'm okay." I feel incredibly weak, but I can't back down now. I need to know just who Declan is to me and why he has been watching me. How did I not even know he existed?

"It will only get worse, Davyna. You lack the proper training that allows you to harness your hybrid abilities without complications." Declan says softly.

"If you think you can just waltz in here and shock her like this without answers...." Caleb starts, and Declan cuts him off.

"I will answer every single question I can. But right now, my sister needs to be attended to. We need to head to our village immediately." My eyes widen. The hybrid village? That is my home?

"That's not possible." Vincent states. "We have obligations here, we can't just up and disappear. That would do much more harm than good if we left now."

Declan narrows his eyes. "You would keep your mate in this state for the sake of appearances?" His tone changes to one of extreme disdain.

Vincent growls in response. "That is not what I am implying. Davyna is our first priority. But if she is to ever to come back here, we need to plan for our departure. The less shock it is to everyone here - majorly the council - the better it will be for her and us upon our return."

I feel incredibly unbalanced as I'm standing and Caleb grasps my arm to keep me from falling over. Caleb chimes in. "We can continue this conversation inside. She's weak and we will have more privacy to hash this out."

Declan nods. "I agree. Lead the way."

Caleb picks me up in his arms, and I sigh as I rest against his chest. My body relaxes immediately, and the pain subsides to a dull throb as we make our way to our suite.

- - -

Once inside, Caleb places me on the couch and sits beside me. Vincent enters, followed by Declan, then Sage and Marcella. I lock eyes with Marcella and Sage, and tears immediately prick my eyes. "I'm so sorry!" They both cross over to me and embrace me in a tight hug. "It's okay, you didn't know what you were doing. We're okay." Sage reassures me.

I sniffle. "I didn't mean to..." She smooths my hair and hugs me. "We know."

Declan sits in one of the lounge chairs across from us and clears his throat. "Ask your questions."

I blurt out. "How do I not know of you?" He looks at me intently, pain evident in his eyes.

"You were too young to remember me. Any possible memories of me were gone the moment you were made dormant."