53 - Strike and Dodge

Does your heart feel heavy now
Savor the solution
Take those mental shackles off
And throw them away
You've got to get them out of your mind
Don't you let their vision leave you blind

Moving steady now
It's a revelation for so long your
Focus has been taken away
Now you're breaking away. - Are You Ready - Disturbed

Davyna's POV

I glare daggers at the elder in front of me, and I feel my control slipping away. His facial expression turns to one of shock, as he takes in my defensive stance. Declan steps in front of me, blocking my view and I snarl. "Move." I state coldly, and he ignores me.

"Did I say something wrong?" Morrowen asks, clearly uneasy at my now feral presence.

"Elijah called her that before...."

"I see." He replies and Declan then turns to me. "Settle." He places his hand on my chest and I feel that familiar thrum come from his palm. I feel myself start to calm and I stand straight again as he moves aside, revealing Morrowen to me again.

"I apologize, Davyna. I did not realize."

I clear my throat. "I appreciate your apology. I am sorry for my reaction. I'm not 100% myself at the moment...." I trail off and he nods.

"That's why you're here. Don't worry, you will learn to use your powers effectively and safely. Please follow me."

We all trail behind Morrowen, and I look around at the village. Nothing of it seems familiar, but I was taken from here as a baby. I probably wouldn't remember much anyways. That doesn't mean that it isn't a stunning place, though. Although it's surrounded by large trees and lots of other shrubs and forestry, it's well established.

I look to my right as I follow the group and I see some soldier-like townsfolk come from a large building. "That is the barracks for our scouts and warriors." Declan says as he walks beside me.

"Past that on the far right is our training facility and sparring grounds, which is where you will spend most of your time at first. It's beside the temple where the elders reside and do our village teachings."

"We aren't heading there now, but at the far back of the village is our main packhouse, where everyone gathers for meals. It's very similar to werewolf culture, as you know."

I nod and then we head left, away from the areas that Declan just described to me.

"All of the left side here is housing. This is where everyone will be staying."

I look past him at the three large buildings around us as we continue moving. It's similar to the housing in Midnight Moon, but the architecture and design is very pure looking. Wood, stone, and a lot of white tones.

We stop at the front of the largest building straight in front of us, and Morrowen turns to face us again. "You will all be staying here, aside from you Davyna. You will bunk in the training center."

"What?" I ask, feeling my worry increase. "I won't be with anyone? At all?" Morrowen shakes his head. "Not initially, no. The training is intense. You can't have distractions."

"No.. I'm..." Declan cuts me off. "It's only for the first little while. You'll manage."

I scoff. "Yeah okay. Says the brother I didn't know existed until a few days ago."

I feel Caleb wrap his arms around me, squeezing me tight before releasing me. "You'll be okay, baby. We're not far."

"Fine. But I'm making it known now, I don't like this one bit."