Chapter 11 - History

Zander's POV:

"Hey Jax, I just arrived with Ed, whereabouts are you?"

"Great, we are in the training room teaching some pups some basic defensive techniques. We're finishing up so we will meet you in dads office in fifteen minutes."

"Alright." I say ending the mind link. The pack house is a large cream coloured mansion that has a beautiful splatter of colourful flowers on either side of the walkway approaching the front doors. The grass around the house is always perfectly maintained. The mansion is surrounded by thick forests and is located somewhere humans won't easily stumble across it. Besides, our patrols would do the trick scaring them away even if they did happen to stumble anywhere near our land. There is only one dirt road that leads onto our territory and it's connected to the school and the main town, hence why the bus is such a great source of transportation for so many students. There is a checkpoint that is heavily guarded and signs that say private property. That always seemed to do the trick and deter most people from entering the territory. Well there's that, and our guards are quite large, covered with thick cords of muscles and tattoos that look quite intimidating.

Our state is called grassland and it's actually a massive island that is connected to the mainland by a huge bridge which is the heavily guarded checkpoint I mentioned earlier. The guards are made up of wolves from our pack- the Moonlight Pack, which is north of the island, and the Sharp Tooth Pack who reside in the south. We have a peace treaty in place that has kept the peace for many years.

There is a section of the island in the middle of Grassland where the school happens to be. The school is made up of around 70% wolves and 30% humans. Most humans live around town and are only allowed residencies on one of the pack lands if vouched for by fellow wolves belonging to that pack, or if they are in a special witness protection program. It's still far enough away from us wolves to go unnoticed. Our islands safety has been proven useful and we ask no questions about the humans in witness protection. We allow them safe passage and residence as repayment for the uniforms and equipment given to us by the Bright Star Pack. It's been working great for all packs involved for a while now.

The Bright star pack are our allies. They are far away and have a beautiful pack surrounded by nature and waterfalls but that's not what they are known for. Their packs main source of income, comes from working for the military so they arrange uniforms and weapons for all packs around the world and send them to us in abundance. Most packs have been peaceful and less power hungry since we lost so many of our kind to the evil witch years ago.

Ed and I walked into the pack house to meet Jax and my father Mike who's the current Alpha. The pack house is home to all the higher ranking wolves and our guests. When you first walk through the large double entry you are greeted with a large open plan, modern style entrance. There are bright down lights scattered throughout the ceiling and a large crystal chandelier straight ahead above the stairs that lead to the first and second floor.

The floorboards are light brown and the walls are cream. On the left hand side is a large lounge area with recliners, beanbags and a large projector. We also have a cabinet under the projector filled with various Playstations, Xbox and Nintendo games. There are also some of the latest virtual reality games that are yet to be released.

On the right hand side is a large formal dining table that hardly gets used and opposite that towards the back wall on the right is our kitchen.

The cupboards are white with chrome handles, and chrome appliances. The bench tops are in a squared 'U' shape around the kitchen, and in the middle of the kitchen is a large counter where we do most of our eating as we are always in a rush. You can fit up to four people behind the counter. It's usually Jax, Ed, my sister Ella and I that eat there.

On the right side of the stairs on the first level is my room, my parents, and Ella's room. On the left of the stairs is the Beta and Gamma bedrooms as well as the Alphas office. It can only be accessed with a key or code that only my dad and I have knowledge of.

The guest rooms and storage rooms are on the second and third floor. Although the view is better the higher up you get, it isn't practical in an emergency.

We climb up the stairs to the first floor and walk towards the left. I unlock the door and we take a seat.

"So while we wait, I've always wondered how and why our peace treaty were created. Can you tell me a bit about it?" Ed asked.

I nodded. "My grandfather once explained it to me. Back when the evil witch was on her murdering rampage, many lives were lost. Packs that used to be rivals, soon learned they had to work together to protect as many wolves as possible.

Our numbers plummeted so much that my grandfather managed to get a very strong witch named Lucy, to cast a protection spell on the island. Everyone who wasn't a wolf who was part of our packs, couldn't see the island if they didn't already know about it. Most humans that live here are oblivious to it being an island. Unless one of us wolves tells a human, they just think it's all land and subconsciously know to stay away from the cliffs edges. It's part of the spell to keep everyone safe."

"Wow! So they don't see the amazing ocean view and beaches we see that surrounds the cliffs?" Ed asked.

"That's right, I believe they just see an endless forest. It really takes quite a huge amount of power and time to cast a spell like that. My grandfather at the time was ready to hand the pack down to my Dad but before he did, he made an agreement with Derek, the Alpha of the Sharp Tooth pack in the south. He said if they both signed a magically binding agreement that states both packs will always be allies no matter who the Alphas are in the future, he could ensure the whole island would be kept secret from anyone who wasn't one of ours. It would allow us all to repopulate and our packs to flourish. We would physically be unable to kill any member of the other pack no matter how hard we tried and vice versa. Derek agreed eagerly so Lucy spent the next year casting the whole island in a magical protection spell. 

"No way! It took her a year? Oh! We can't get killed by them, that makes sense why all the guards work well together and are so trusting I guess." Ed mumbled.

"I would love to meet Lucy one day if she's still alive and thank her for keeping our pack safe. I know it must have taken a huge sacrifice and I always wondered why she had done it. I could tell my grandfather had a lot of respect and almost adored her by the way he would speak. Not in a romantic way of course as his heart belonged to my grandmother who was his mate, but there was definitely a story I wished I asked more about." Opening up to Ed was easy, he was my best friend after all.

"Wait, now that I think of it dad and I won't be able to take Derek's pack off him no matter how bad he gets in the future. Maybe that's why dad hasn't brought it up, he knows we can't do anything about it." I said

"Hmm... I never thought about that, that could end up being a problem." Ed agreed. "Tell me more about our pack."

"Our small town in the centre of both territories, consists of around 450 houses. On our land there are approximately 1000 wolves. Seventy percent of them are warriors as you know. Did you know we are the second largest pack in the world? The largest is actually Derek's pack but it's only slightly larger. I'd say it's all thanks to the protection spell."

"Hmm you're probably right. Hey, do you know what actually happened to Derek?" Ed asked.

"Yeah, his mate died during childbirth a few years back so he lost them both. It's incredible that he has managed to hold on as Alpha this long. I've heard his unreasonable, irrational and hard-headed most of the time but I can't really blame him, I'm surprised the heart break didn't kill him. It's almost better to die than live a life like that." I said.

The sound of heavy breathing and loud footsteps approached the door behind us, drawing our attention away from the conversation at hand.