Chapter 43: A call. (Christmas special?)

Percy smiled as he ate dinner on his log. The rest of the Hunters ate the food he had prepared for them, all jovially talking and joking in their own semi-circle.

It didn't include him, but he was fine with that. He knew he was an outsider and would therefore be treated differently. Besides, the fact that he had somehow convinced them to put up a Christmas tree made everything good in his book.

They finished eating and started packing up for the night. The next day, they would have to leave, but hey, today was Christmas, so they got a break. Percy smiled as presents were handed out. He didn't get anything, but he did end up managing to get Thalia a new shirt.

Artemis had made it clear she didn't want a present. Once the hunters were all asleep, she woke Percy up. They walked into her tent and sat down next to each other.

Artemis handed Percy a hastily wrapped present. He smiled and opened it, marveling at the silver trinket inside. It was made out of wood and clearly painted with great effort. It was a silver moon, with the chunks in it and everything.

"I'll keep it in my tent at all times," he said. Artemis smiled and stood up, extending her hand. He uncertainly took it and almost yelled in surprise when she pulled him next to her.

Soft music started to play as she extended her arm, hand still clasped with Percy's, and started moving.

He opened his mouth to speak, but she shushed him.

"If you try to apologize again for not getting me a present, I will add to the jackalope population. If you really want to give me a present, dance with me."

He gulped. "Yes, ma'am."

They started to move back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, waltzing.

She cleared her throat and rested her head on Percy's chest. [A/N: I imagine her as a couple inches shorter than Percy. And no, she's not in her twelve year old form. She 20.]

"I-I'm sorry for being so forceful," She said with some difficulty.

Percy looked down at her, confused. "What do you mean?"

She sighed and continued to dance. "You told me about Annabi- beth, and yet -"

Percy chuckled. "It's fine. Arty. I'm used to forcefulness."

She lightly punched his shoulder. "But that's the point! You shouldn't be used to force in relationships. And besides, I don't... I don't like being forceful." 

She muttered out the last part.

"What was that last part?" Percy asked.

Artemis buried her head into his chest. "I don't like being forceful," she muttered into it.

"I can't hear you," he said with a smile.

She groaned and lifted her head, blushing lightly. "I don't like being forceful or super assertive. I mean, obviously, I want to be taken seriously, but... I don't want to pressure you, or..."

Percy raised an eyebrow. "So you want to be a caring partner. How's that something bad?"

"It's not, it's just... I'm not like that with my hunters or anyone else. With everyone but you, I'm more professional, more assertive and cold. You make me feel... vulnerable, in a good way. But I'm not used to it," She said.