10.

Maeves pov

2015, New York, February

"The album release went fantastic," John said opening a bottle of champagne and walking over to the couch. "Your record is selling like crazy. Didn't I tell you Phil?" He rhetorically asked while pouring a few drinks.

"You sure did." Phil said sitting behind his desk smoking a cigar.

"I knew this small middle class girl would make it. I knew it I absolutely knew it and now look what's happened." He downed the two glasses.

"You sure did." Phil repeated. When I first arrived here trying to get a meeting Phil straight up refused to talk to me. I knew he was a big Shot producer and would turn me away but I tried. Thank God that I did because his very persistent senior executive seemed impressed by me and talked to Phil.

I came back a few weeks later and suddenly all these big things were happening for me. My parents even flew out to see me, of course that ended horribly and it forced me to get away for a little while. That ended up being the best choice I've ever made.

"Here you go." John said holding a glass of champagne out for me.

"No thanks." I politely declined holding my hands, one ring on every finger.

"Oh come on. You deserve it." He brought the glass closer to me.

"No really, I don't drink." I smiled and leaned away.

"One day you'll be needing that to live. You might as well start drinking now." Phil chipped in. He always had these glum opinions about the music industry. I hesitantly took the drink and took a sip. John seemed please and went back to the couch.

"What are your plans tonight." John asked crossing his legs after he sat down.

"Hopefully writing." Phil chuckled lighting another cigar.

"Why writing?" I questioned confused.

"These sales are great. You wanna keep them that way don't you?"

I nodded taking another sip.

"So start another album. In fact you should go now and start working on it." He said with a smile but he was being a hundred percent serious.

"Alright sir." I wasn't exactly sure what to do next. Did he really expect me to start writing immediately?

I got up from the chair and downed the rest of the drink. I gave the glass back to John and headed for the door.

"Oh and uh- don't take so long this time with new music. Just because things seem good now doesn't mean they always will be." He leaned back in his chair and turned away from me. I gribbed the door hard before closing it.

____________________________________

Maeve posted on Instagram