4

Isabelle's POV

It had taken us just under two weeks to reach King's Landing. That is where we had escorted the Starks too.

Only Arya, Sansa and Lord Stark were the ones making the journey there. Sansa had spent many hours telling me in great detail about everything that had happened recently, from Bran's fall to Jon joining the Night's Watch.

Lord Stark was to be hand of the king to Robert Baratheon and Sansa, she was to marry his son. Joffrey

I was happy for Sansa, the way her eyes lit up when she talked about him and the way she smiled...It wasn't hard to tell that she was truely smitten with him.

As Lord Stark went to talk with the King alone, Sansa and I decided to take a walk through the gardens, waiting for Prince Joffrey. Arya had disappeared somewhere but I knew she'd be safe, I trusted her...However, it didn't stop me from worrying.

"You know she'll be fine."

"Hm?"

"Arya, I know you're worried about her. She'll be fine. Trust me, I've seen her get into fights with boys twice her size and beat them. She's not stupid either, she's smart. If she gets into any trouble. she'll get out of it again."

I nodded my head as we continued to walk, stopping every so often so Sansa could look at specific flowers. As Sansa looked at the flowers, I just looked at her. We had grown closer on the journey here, we had somewhat rebuilt the closeness we had as children but something was different this time, at least on my part.

I had feelings inside of me that I had never felt before, I didn't know what this meant..I just know it was best to ignore them. I was probably getting sick or something. Maybe I was scared of losing her again...Of course I was, she was my best friend. I had never had a friendship like that with anyone else.

"These are some of the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen. Don't you agree, Isabelle?"

"I'm sorry?" I asked, snapping out of whatever trance I was in.

"Oh especially this one." Sansa said as she gently cupped a pink rose. "It's so beautiful."

"It is." I agreed, still looking at her. "It's the most beautiful thing in this entire garden. I have never seen something so beautiful in my entire life."

Sansa turned around to look at me and I quickly looked away, pretending to look at the rose she was still cupping.

What was that about..?

"I can get you those roses for our wedding, if that is what your heart desires."

I turned around and saw a young man standing there, dressed in the finest of clothes. His blonde hair was perfection, not a single strand was out of place. He held his hand out as Sansa practically ran towards him. I just stood there, watching as they embraced. I felt a small pain in my chest I hadn't felt in years but I ignored it, I didn't have time for these sort of feelings anymore. So this was Joffrey Baratheon, the son of the King, Robert Baratheon.

"My dear Sansa, who is this?" He asked looking at me. "I don't believe we met when my family and I were in Winterfell."

"No your highness." I said standing up straight. "I arrived in Winterfell two weeks ago to escort The Starks safely here."

"What is your name?"

"Isabelle Bennett."

"She's my knight." Sansa said proudly as she looped her arm through Joffrey's.

"Your knight?" He asked surprised. "But she is a girl." He began to laugh.

"I assure you, I may be a girl but I am a great fighter and I will protect Lady Sansa until the day I die. You have my word, your wife to be is in the safest of hands."

Joffrey finally stopped laughing, as he gave me a look of disgust. "Sansa, could you give Isabelle and I a moment alone."

"Of course."

As Sansa walked away, Joffrey beckoned me over with his finger. Once I was stood directly in front of him, he looked me up and down. I could tell he was silently judging me, but what I didn't see coming was the hardest slap I have ever felt in my life. Tears instantly filled my eyes as I held my cheek, looking at the prince in shock.

"You dare imply that I am not capable of keeping my fiance safe?" He asked, anger laced with every word. "You are merely a girl with a sword. You are no knight, you are no protector. You don't even have armor...You can't even take a light tap to the cheek without crying. How pathetic." He smirked. "Sansa is in the safest hands with me and my knights. Do you understand?" He asked leaning forward, looking me dead in the eyes.

Before I could answer, a different voice spoke, causing him to jump back slightly.

"That's quite enough, Joffrey. Why don't you go show Sansa around the castle, she will be living here, after all."

"Yes Mother." He replied without turning around. He looked me up and down once more. "Stay away from Sansa, do you understand?"

"Joffrey." His mother replied sternly.

"I will not warn you again."

"And I will not warn you again." His mother said getting slightly more angry.

Joffrey finally turned around and walked away. I lowered my head and closed my eyes, trying to contain my emotions. I was used to people belittling me. Laughing at me, mocking me for being a girl and being able to fight. Nobody would take me seriously but this time..It just got to me in a different way, I had been in many fights and not once had I cried. Yet when Joffrey slapped me, I began to cry and I was continuing to cry. What was wrong with me?

"Are you alright?"

I looked up and saw a beautiful woman stood in front of me, she had the most beautiful wavy blonde hair that rested just above her stomach, and she was wearing the most beautiful red dress...She was just beautiful in general.

"Ye-Yes."

She smiled sweetly at me and brought her hand out towards my face, gently wiping my tears away.

"I'm sorry about Joffrey, he can be...Well, he just cares a lot. That's all, but he should not have slapped you and for that I offer you a thousand apologies."

"It's quite alright, your majesty. I'm used to such things being said and I've had far worse than a slap."

"How is that possible for someone so young?"

"I don't mean to offend, but you are a Queen, you live within these walls. You don't ever truly see how things are out there..However, it's done me no harm. It has made me stronger. It's made me appreciate the people I consider family that much more because we never know when we'll lose someone else. Myself and the other fighting men...And woman...We may protect royalty but we protect each other too but sometimes we fail to protect each other. It never gets easier, to lose someone...But it's good being able to feel those emotions. It shows that you're human, not an emotionless monster. It also motivates me to train harder to become a better fighter so I can protect and help more people."

She tilted her head to the side and I could tell she didn't really know how to respond.

"I'm sorry. Please, excuse me."

I walked away but I felt her hand on my arm, pulling me back. "Nonsense, you have no reason to be sorry." She smiled. "Come, while Joffrey shows Sansa around let's you and I get to know each other."

"You would like to get to know me?" I asked confused.

"Of course." She replied, looping her arm through mine and giving my arm a gentle squeeze. "If you are Sansa's knight then it's your duty to protect her, so you shall be living here too."

Being acknowledged as a Knight by someone other than Sansa made me happy. I felt proud. I just hoped Joffrey would come  to terms with me being not just a knight, but Sansa's knight..But I had a feeling he wouldn't, but it was okay, that slap was the first and last time he would ever touch me.

And if he even dares hurts Sansa, I'll have his head.