Chapter 57

Dean held his breath as he watched her sit up against the headboard with widened eyes, trying to distance herself from him. "What else about you... that I don't know about?" She muttered while her hands held onto the blanket tightly over her chest.

He clenched his teeth when he did not understand her reaction. Did he scare her? Or, was she just mad at him? Her voice sounded strangely calm and emotionless. He couldn't even guess how she felt. Dean shifted closer to place his head onto her laps which were covered by the soft blanket. His empty gaze stared off into space while his hand caressed her knee gently. "What is it do you want to know? I don't want to hide anything from you anymore, Giselle. As long as you stay by my side... I will tell you everything." He said in a bitter voice.

She glanced down at his thick messy hair before she gulped slowly. "I want to know everything about you... everything that you've never tell me."

Dean's heart raced as he blinked a few times. "I... I've never told anyone about myself." He hesitated and then took a deep breath to calm himself down. His brows began to furrow when he tried to think about his past. "I got beaten and forced to watch people died in front of my eyes since I was a kid... I got trauma from it. It was so bad that my father decided to lock me up in the hospital. One day, in the hospital... there was a strange man who disguised himself as a doctor. He wanted to kill me. I was only ten... I didn't know what to do. Even when I screamed for help... there was nobody seemed to care." Dean paused to force out a brief cold laugh. "That man was quick to judge though... Who would've expected that a ten years old boy know how to use a gun?"

Giselle felt her heart skipped a beat. She glanced down at him to see his hands formed fists as if he tried to hold back his emotion. "You killed him?"

Dean didn't bother to look up besides nodding his head slightly. "Of course, I did... Until now, the image of that man lying in his own pool of blood still stuck in my head. I was scared... but I had no choice. I have to overcome my fear to become stronger so that my father... wouldn't abandon me." When she didn't say anything, he shifted his body to turn his head to look up at her from her laps. "Are you afraid?" She shook her head slightly while a drop of tear escaped her eye. Dean was not sure of what to do to make her feel better besides raising his hand to wipe the warm liquid off her cheek with his thumb. "Sorry... Sorry that I made you cry."

"Dean, no." She mumbled as she grabbed his hand to hold onto her cheek. "Don't be sorry... I've promised you that I will always be here to listen to you. I am not afraid and you don't have to be scared either... You don't have to fear anything when you are with me. I know you. I know that you wouldn't hurt those people if they did nothing wrong." She gulped while she lets another hand run through his thick messy hair. "It was an act of self-defense, Dean. You didn't hurt that man on purpose... You know... My father is one of the police force with authority, but it doesn't mean that he had never killed anyone either... So don't let it scared you. Don't let anything in the past to affect who you are today."

A smile spread on his lips while his eyes held a cold gaze. "Either lawful soldiers or mafia... we are the same. We have our own rules, and they have their own laws. Both parties kill rulebreakers... Sometimes, I questioned myself. Was it okay to like you? Was it okay to hate the father, but likes his daughter? ...I don't know the answer, Giselle. It was hard, and it is still hard for me to understand myself."

Without warning, she leaned down to kiss him on his lips softly. A few seconds later she leaned back while she moved her hand to touch his face lightly. "It's okay. You don't have to understand everything... I am just worried because I don't want you to get hurt. What you are doing is very dangerous. You are risking your life every day, do you even realize that? Can't you just run normal business and leave that kind of life?"